Network Engineer at OCC
Responsible for supporting complex network infrastructure including routers; switches; circuits; MPLS/DMVPN connectivity; voice over IP phone systems; load balancers; firewalls; VPN; DNS; IPAM; Sniffers; tapping; NAC; NTP; DDoS mitigation; proxies; network management tools; and call recording infrastructure.
Perform network design & analysis of new architectures, new routing and restoration approaches; developing systems specifications, planning small to medium sized projects, technical implementation plans and coordinating complex installation projects with clients and vendors under minimal supervision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with vendors, common carriers and various teams in identification and resolution of complex network problems.
- Install and support network solutions
- Provide tactical and strategic input on overall network planning and related projects.
- Ensure network performance and network security standards are met.
- Provide on-call support according to assigned schedule.
- Frequent weekend work - weekday schedule will be adjusted accordingly.
- Build, test and support routing and switching components
- Support and troubleshoot IP communications
- Plan and assist in network changes and new infrastructure deployments.
- Install equipment and extend, or make cabling connections.
- Document network changes, policies and procedures and drawings.
- Manage small to medium sized projects and maintain schedules.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Good presentation skills.
- Basic typing skills.
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with people of various technical backgrounds.
- Negotiation skills including listening and persuasion.
- Basic interpersonal and project management skills.
- Strong ability to use solution-oriented approach towards problem resolution.
- Ability to work independently and be a team player.
- telecommunications technology knowledge (Fax; POTS lines; DSL, T1, SONET, Ethernet, MPLS; 1 Gig; 10 Gig) with a minimum of 3 - 5 years’ experience
- Intermediate WAN, LAN, TCP/IP, VPN, routing, switching skills with a minimum of 3 - 5 years’ experience
- Knowledge of DMVPN and MPLS networks preferred
- Experience with IOS, NX-OS, and XR preferred
- Experience with Bluecat DNS/IPAM; Bluecoat proxy; Checkpoint firewalls; Gigamon tapping; Cisco ISE; F5 Big IP; Arbor DDoS; Cisco Prime (LMS/Infrastructure); WebEx; Cisco ASA; Netscout/Infinistream Sniffers; NTP preferred
- Intermediate physical communication troubleshooting skills using cabling and signaling analyzer, packet capture and analysis
- Working knowledge of BGP, RIP and OSPF routing protocol with a minimum of 3 - 5 years’ experience
- Intermediate VOIP skills (Cisco preferred) with a minimum of 2 - 3 years’ experience
- Bash, Perl, Python, TCL, scripting/coding knowledge would be a plus
- OpenStack experience a plus
- DevOps experience a plus
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in Telecommunication or related field preferred
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years’ experience in a network support role
Certificates or Licenses:
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Certification or Openstack certifications preferred