Operational Risk Testing and Monitoring Analyst at OppLoans
Growth with a Purpose
OppLoans is a rapidly growing Fintech company that helps credit-challenged consumers build a better financial path through accessible products and five-star customer service. As one of Chicago’s fastest-growing startups, we’ve made the Crain’s Business Chicago Fast 50 (#4 in 2019) and the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 (twice), and we’ve ranked in the top 10% of the Inc. 500 four years in a row!
OppLoans is a team of caring and inventive “Opptimists” with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. OppLoans employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work every morning and know they are a part of something great. That’s why we prize collaboration, collegiality, and letting the best ideas win the day.
What you get to do:
- Partner with the business to recognize, document and cultivate an effective control environment in order to manage risk exposure.
- Maintain an independent Operational Risk Testing & Monitoring Program which measures the design and effectiveness of the control environment in the first line of defense.
- Collaborate with the business and Compliance to monitor high risk areas and/ or processes requiring special attention.
- Analyze data and create reporting for the business, Compliance and other stakeholders regarding the status and outcomes of the Operational Risk Testing & Monitoring program.
- Communicate, provide education around, and develop risk management policies and limits.
- Foster communication and information exchange between the Compliance and business groups.
- Participate in Compliance Monitoring & Testing, as well as any audits, internal or external, as needed.
What you will bring to the team:
- 1-3 years general work experience in an office environment, demonstrating proficiency in G-Suite and Microsoft Office
- 1-2 years experience reviewing sensitive information (customer documents, banking information), ability to navigate and review customer accounts, notate findings, track information and report / raise key results and issues
- Ability to demonstrate research skills, responding to questions and potential legal and compliance issues or gaps, troubleshooting and drawing to conclusion
- Ability to question status quo, provide credible challenge, demonstrate critical thinking skills and ability to flex thinking to multiple and varying situations
- Familiarity with federal regulations under which Opploans operates; primarily the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), as well as the Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices Act (UDAAP), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Lending, Service members Civil Relief Act (SCRA), as well as others as necessary
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Eagerly solicits and implements feedback to improve work products and methods
- Sound decision-making/reasoning skills, exercises appropriate judgement
- Results-driven, goal-oriented mindset with high intent on delivering impactful eventualities
- Ability to multitask, execute quickly, and change priorities with autonomy
- Collaborative team effort mentality and ability to foster strong cross-departmental relationships
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of SQL
- Familiarity with Jira/Confluence
Define your career at OppLoans
OppLoans is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience that allows you to define your career and purpose with us. New hire “Opptimists” go through orientation, shadow programs, a new hire lunch with our CEO, Jared Kaplan, and you can participate in different company culture events focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our onboarding team has designed programs to make you feel welcome and part of our team during your first year and beyond.
- Define the Mission (days 1-30): You will understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your role at OppLoans plays a part in that.
- Define your Goals (months 1-3): You will be able to understand your role expectations and identify goals with your manager and mentor(s) to fulfill those expectations.
- Define your Belonging (months 3-6): You will understand OppLoans’ culture and have opportunities to engage with and impact that culture. Employee-led communities and programs, like our wellness program Project Opptimism, are offered to help with community connection both virtually and in-person.
- Define your Journey (6 months - 1 year): You will feel confident in your abilities to execute in your role and know the next step you will take to develop your career.
Compensation and Benefits
OppLoans offers a 401(k) matching program and paid vacation. Other benefits include medical benefits, including a free PPO medical option with BCBS for Employee-Only Plans, dental and vision coverage, and tuition reimbursement. To support your wellness, you receive a free gym membership at One Two Pru and a corporate discount on ClassPass packages. To get you to and from work, you can participate in our pre-tax commuter benefits program with CTA and Metra, park your bike in the One Two Pru bike storage room, and take advantage of discounted Divvy memberships. Dress code is casual. Lunch is subsidized through Fooda and Sweetgreen, and healthy snacks and drinks are available all day at the office. Our office is conveniently located in downtown Chicago with panoramic views of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan with rooftop access.
EEOC Statement: OppLoans is an equal opportunity employer. OppLoans does not discriminate against any applicant for employment due to age, color, sex, disability, national origin, race, religion, veteran status, or any other protected class.