For 20 years, our mission has been to increase the presence and accessibility of natural and organic products to encourage healthier and more vibrant living. By leveraging SPINS’ industry-leading proprietary data and analytics, our technology enables deeper, more engaged relationships between Retailers, Brands and Consumers through our platform, web, and mobile products. At the core of our work lies a passion to create a culture of sustainable health & wellness.
The Operations Manager, Product Intelligence oversees the development and ongoing prioritization and work queue of UPCs entering the Product Intelligence (PI) attribute database. This role will work closely with other internal teams such as customer support, data operations and product managers to effectively manage the queue of UPCs requiring a range of PI attributes and shape the mechanical turk needed to meet specified thresholds.
This person will leverage sound data analysis to proactively examine and improve UPC and attribute processes. Much of the improvements will focus on creating efficiency and increasing UPC and attribute throughput in order to propogate a variety of PI attribute offerings.
This people management role requires an individual who leads by example, possesses conflict management and natural curiosity. This driven, inquisitive and agile person should possess a strong, data-driven business sense paired with proactive interest in learning new technologies.
What You Will Do
- Serve as the point of contact for UPC prioritization, proactively managing UPC workload and assignments across PI team members
- Oversee PI’s attribute discovery function to ensure productivity, efficiency and integrity of UPC attribution added to PI’s product database
- Track and communicate ongoing UPC prioritization and attribute completion by providing status updates and reports to enable data-driven actions
- Develop and maintain KPIs to measure throughput and performance of PI Attribute Discovery team, including breadth of UPCs entering PI’s product database, pipelines for UPC activation, level of effort, etc.
- Proactively find and implement opportunities to improve PI attribute methodologies through data interpretation and analysis, project planning, clear communication and analyst training, seizing opportunities to increase efficiency and improve accuracy
- Support PI team managers and team members to meet collective department objectives for enhanced attribute and hierarchy efficiency, improved attribute data delivery, expanded UPC coverage, etc.
- Develop & refine attribute processes and documentation guidelines related to PI Attribute Discovery, such as new UPC, Brand Position and Private Label classifications
- Interview, mentor and train direct reports, providing feedback while supporting change management, learning and skill development through collaborative projects.
- Build strong relationships across teams and with our internal customers to understand UPC and attribute deliverables and needs that impact PI UPC prioritization and attribute methodologies
- Formulate improvements, define methodologies, best practices, and techniques to improve attribute data discovery processes
- Explore, plan and implement projects for various Product Intelligence data and business initiatives and programs
- Handle competing priorities and heavy project workloads; manage difficult feedback
What You Bring
While your talent and experience matters most, we have to mention these qualifications matter to us:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business or a science-related field
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a cross-functional team
- Self-motivated; able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment under pressure, adhering to deadlines
- Adept at learning new technologies and business functions, working proactively to problem solve and take initiative
- Familiarity with excel, file editor, relational databases, and/or other data management tools
- Ability to analyze raw volumes of data to perform trend analysis or other insights
- Desire to understand and interpret simple coding language, database infrastructure, and data structure
We’re even more impressed if you bring along your:
- BA/BS Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year degree in technology, science, operations management
- Experience in data operations, data management or equivalent
- Exposure to manufacturing settings
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment under pressure, adhere to deadlines, deliver high-quality results and manage competing demands
- Entrepreneurial drive to take ownership and lead a team
- Competence in relational data management tools and basic coding language such as Access, Postgres, SQL, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to engage, lead, influence and communicate
- Strong leadership skills – must be able to work across departments and management levels
- A strong business sense – ability to create strategy and execution in ambiguous environments
- Strength in resolving conflicts and negotiating for optimal outcomes while simultaneously taking a confident stand to solving problems
- Strong ability to analyze raw volumes of data to perform trend analysis or other insights
- Experience in food, dietary supplements, and/or personal care product labeling/regulatory knowledge
- Exposure to retailer or consumer packaged goods data
- Advanced capabilities with power BI, SQL, or other large file editing and business intelligence applications
- Exposure to XP or other Agile engineering teams
- Exposure to Google Cloud Platform (or AWS or Azure)
When we began working from home in March, we were committed to keeping the healthy and active SPINS culture for our employees. Keeping the culture is high priority to us as we have continued to hire and onboard new employees even while we worked remotely. We listen to employee feedback as we plan when and how we will return to the office in the future. While we can’t have some of our favorite in-office perks (plenty of snacks, onsite gym, and bike storage), we’ve continued to find ways to stay true to SPINS:
- Virtual yoga, HIIT, and Kinstretch classes each week
- Each employee is allotted 8 hours to use to volunteer with an organization of their choice.
- Stay connected with other SPINS employees for a weekly PELOTON ride together
- Direct – We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined – We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate – We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative – We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.