Manager, Loan Operations
Supernova Lending is a business-to-business, cloud-based financial technology and loan servicing platform specializing in wealth management lending. Our primary loan product is a dynamic line of credit secured by a client’s investment portfolio that is marked to market daily. Our platform connects loan origination, loan servicing, risk monitoring, payment processing and loan accounting systems. Data from these connections is processed and grouped through our technology platform and provided to lenders, wealth management firms, their advisors and their clients. Supernova is the originator and loan servicer for many of our clients which involves our team making credit decisions, processing loan related transactions and growing a service center. Our flagship clients include some of the largest financial institutions in the world.
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Supernova Operations team is a high performing department that delivers world class loan originations and servicing experiences that delight our internal and external customers. We combine people, processes and technology to deliver outstanding results. From our operations headquarters in Chicago, the Loan Operations team guides the client and advisor through the life cycle of a securities-based loan from pre-evaluation through servicing. The Loan Operations Manager oversees all aspects of customer service, credit analysis, risk and daily loan transaction processing.
This position requires 10+ years of bank or non-bank loan operations and credit experience. This person is responsible for executing a fast-paced operating plan and developing a detailed understanding of the end-to-end process. This person will coach, train and develop the team with a focus on contract quality goals, service levels, productivity and efficiency goals. This person develops, recommends and implements business plans, operational procedures and systems which allow the company to achieve significant loan growth.
- Directs and oversees loan operations teams responsible for banking activities including customer service, credit and loan operations.
- Leads and manages teams responsible for all securities-based loans origination, underwriting and ongoing credit review activities including collateral evaluation, credit decisioning, document preparation and review, and other tasks to ensure loans are properly decisioned, serviced and maintained in our system. Monitors decisions and reviews analyses prepared by the team.
- Leads and manages teams responsible for customer service to both our enterprise customers and the advisors and clients serviced by Supernova.
- Oversees loan operations and daily transaction processing to ensure all transactions and other activities are fully processed and posted for that business day. Additionally, managing the day to day operations to ensure all of our clients’ requests are completed according to our service level agreements.
- Lead and manage the teams supporting loan risk monitoring to ensure portfolios remain within identified risk targets. Leads the execution of advisor and customer outreach when loans fall below identified thresholds.
- Ensures teams follow established loan policies and procedures. Ensure that servicing, underwriting and credit quality standards are maintained. Oversees the resolution of exceptions and non-standard underwriting issues. Ensures the team maintains compliance with all regulations and ensures loan policy limits are observed on all loans processed. Ensures team remains knowledgeable of variations in laws across state boundaries as applicable.
- Ensures that the delivery of operations services to internal and external customers meet or exceed service level expectations. Provides constructive operational performance feedback to internal partners to improve processes.
- Monitors and manages to established service delivery standards for internal and external customers. Works to identify and mitigate barriers that impact the delivery of quality customer service. Recognizes problems and issues. Analyzes root causes, evaluates and considers alternatives and implements goals, strategies and tactics. Provides exceptional customer service at all times, and ensures team does the same.
- Prepares business plans, budgets, and goal setting for the business unit and analyzes and implements cost cutting initiatives. Provides operational expertise and makes recommendations for the successful implementation of revenue generating or cost management initiatives. Participates in long-term and strategic planning for the department. Determines departmental structure and allocates resources. Contributes to formulation of company-wide operations strategy and policy.
- Provides leadership, direction and growth opportunities to members of the department.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Builds Winning Teams
- Develops talent by creating engaged, inclusive and diverse teams who are empowered to speak freely and act with integrity.
- Recognizes the critical importance of each activity we manage and ensures they are completed accurately and on time.
Drives for Results
- Demonstrates energy and a desire to succeed; follows through on commitments; pushes self and others to deliver exceptional results.
- BS in business, finance, accounting or an equivalent discipline
- MBA preferred
- 10+ years of experience in bank operations, lending, credit underwriting and treasury operations
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with evaluating credit worthiness of potential borrowers
- Experience leading customer service teams.
- Experience leading teams processing payments and money movement activities.
- Financial industry knowledge of investment securities. Experience working with financial advisors and their clients is preferred.
- FIS Experience preferred.
- Understanding securities-based loan risk based on daily collateral monitoring is preferred.
- Strong decision-making skills and solid financial acumen.
- Effective interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of people within and outside the organization.
- Strong problem-solving skills especially related to transaction processing and loan accounting.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills, with ability to remain flexible to changing priorities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs; strong use of database and spreadsheet applications like Excel.