Product Support Engineer
Sprout Social is searching for a top performer who possesses excellent organizational, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills to join our world-class Support Team as a Product Support Engineer. This role is tactical and strategic, striving to provide excellent customer service for every ticket while working with Product and Engineering on longer-term improvements.
Sprout Social is used by over 25,000 brands worldwide including Evernote, Grubhub, Subaru, and Edelman. These businesses rely on Sprout to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media.
This role is to serve as an escalation expert to facilitate the overall resolution of customer issues. This is whether they are able to provide a solution/answer without escalation, or need to submit tickets to Engineering for bug fixes or Product for functionality confirmation. This will include activities such as investigating, troubleshooting, and reproducing issues escalated by the Customer Advocate team, as well as being an overall product expert.
We’re looking for someone who is detail-oriented, but who can also identify patterns and possesses a mind geared toward bigger-picture problem-solving. This includes having a strong mental index of reported issues and strategically leveraging Product, Engineering and/or internal documentation. This individual is passionate about driving the voice of the customer to our Product teams by continually providing feedback to improve and enhance our customer’s product experience.
- 2+ years experience providing technical support for software, with experience working in a Tier 2 capacity (SaaS experience a plus)
- Experience collaborating with Product and Engineering to help resolve an escalation or provide feedback
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and reproduce technical issues
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to author layman-level explanations of complex technical situations
Within 1 month, you will...
- Complete Sprout Social’s new hire training & on-boarding program alongside other new Sprout Social team members.
- Begin developing familiarity with our business, platform, and applications, as well as our company’s key metrics
- Begin to triage and troubleshoot tickets escalated by Customer Advocates after a two week training period, along with starting to escalate tickets to Engineering in Jira as needed
- Learn to use our internal and external troubleshooting tools like system logs, Facebook’s Graph API Explorer, Chrome DevTools, etc
- Partner with your manager to define key success metrics for your role and how you will measure against them
Within 3 months, you will…
- Own escalated issues through ZenDesk and Jira from start to finish
- Isolate and help determine the root cause of an issue through creative troubleshooting, thinking outside of the box and striving to reproduce issues
- Effectively monitor, manage and assign severity for tickets escalated to Engineering along with ensuring information is properly communicated between involved parties
- Chronicle new and useful knowledge by creating and updating internal documentation to facilitate the resolution of issues going forward
- Develop relationships and channels of communication with Product Managers and Engineers
- Contribute to team goals by focusing on resolution time, ticket quality and escalation accuracy to Engineering
Within 6 months, you will...
- Strategically and confidently collaborate with Product and Engineering to help resolve or push along an escalated issue
- Identify similarities and patterns, drawing on past experiences and resolutions to reference possible solutions in new scenarios
- Demonstrate a strong mental index of escalated issues and resource search chops
- Challenge the status quo to continually iterate on internal processes and improve interactions with our team
- Work with your manager to establish continual growth and development areas to master the Support Engineer role
Within 12 months, you will…
- Approach Product and Engineering interactions and challenges with a solutions-oriented mindset, particularity with high severity and impact issues
- Identify patterns across incoming volume and escalated issues to work with Product and Engineering to advocate on behalf of data-driven customer needs
- Participate in Product and Engineering scrum meetings and release retrospectives
- Co-own personal/professional growth and development with your manager, including exploration of and exposure to new learning opportunities
- Take on potential projects and tasks beyond day-to-day Support Engineer responsibilities
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!