Route Planning Manager at Peapod Digital Labs
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Peapod continues to be a consumer-facing eCommerce brand, and is part of Peapod Digital Labs, focused on growing Peapod sales to consumers.
Browse The Aisles-
The Route Planning Manager directs the strategic planning and execution of all transportation related items including trucks, service model, transportation planning, vendor management and delivery execution for a business scaling to $1.25 billion. This role directly impacts the annual $100MM transportation budget at both the strategic planning and the daily operations execution level through support and governance of transportation labor standards.
Recipe for Success - What's "in store" for the role:
- Develop strategic transportation roadmap, develop plans and operationally execute the plan on a 100MM+ transportation budget working with Last Mile Services Lead and field operations
- Central management on all items related to PDLs fleet of delivery trucks. Including all counts/facility, specs, fuel types, MPG, cargo box engineering, carts, hand-trucks, etc.
- Manage asset forecasting during annual budget development working with Last Mile Services Lead to develop the asset utilization and facility requirements to enable company order projections
- Lead Smart Mile integration and scaling of production capacity management for hundreds of new fulfillment points through Ahold Delhaize USA. Ensure Smart Mile technology and processes are optimized to control capacity throughout the network.
- Manage truck purchase cycles working with Last Mile Services Lead to develop all planned purchases, leases and re-marketing of aged vehicles.
- Lead and implement complex route planning model adjustment projects that impact route delivery solutions to drive service and cost optimization working closely with the Last Mile Services Lead
- Manage 3rd Party Carriers both outbound and inbound. Including sourcing, contract negotiation and performance management. Align with fulfillment operations to create optimal trailer schedule for maximum performance levels
- Direct the Routing & Network Specialist in a multitude of analyses in order to drive Transportation efficiencies for all PDL locations. This includes running complex logistics network design and optimization simulations seeking continuous improvement and new building development
- Create and design structure of all zones, delivery areas, shift schedules and customer delivery window service models working in conjunction with Commercial teams to ensure revenue growth projections are met.
- Develop and implement new procedures/ policies to simplify and improve Transportation operations through either technological advances or SOP changes. Work closely with the Manager of Transportation Training, Safety & Audit during development, implementation & change tracking phases
- Lead overall process improvement initiatives to drive down cost and increase overall efficiencies for a business scaling to $1.25 billion
- Manage up-to-date status and documentation on all USDOT/UCR related items aligning with Director of Compliance to ensure delivery continuity
- Lead continuous development of PDL's Yield Management systems working closely with PDL Business Systems group supporting the content on the Delivery Windows page.
- Lead all aspects of the 24/7 production of PDL's transportation planning center, Smart Mile, ensuring continuous order flow for the business scaling towards $1.25 billion in annual revenue
- Project management on all Roadnet upgrades, patches and enhancements, uniting leaders from Windows Team, Business Systems and Roadnet support, working closely with the Manager of Transportation Planning
- Support technical integration of same-day and flex capacity transportation operations. Closely align business process needs with IT requirements for slot capacity management and 3rd party transportation assignment.
- Maintain full knowledge of the Roadnet routing optimization software, GPS system and telecommunications aspects related to the current transportation planning system as well as driving innovation with new technology development
- Lead the development and testing of new applications related to routing, vehicle tracking, slot management and all transportation related field operations tools, working closely with IT and QA
- Develop and provide strategic support of current and future versions of driver handheld devices including modules of navigation, scanning and vehicle/order tracking functionality
- Lead technical/process advisor for Mobile Cast portion of driver handheld application and supporting applications such as navigation software
- Lead meetings with field operations including execs and field operations personnel covering transportation execution and continuous improvement initiatives
- Direct quarterly Service Model meetings in all the PDL markets gaining cross-functional agreement on proposed service model changes including SVPs, Fulfillment Leaders, Commercial and Last Mile Services
- Lead production capacity calls between Commercial and Fulfillment garnering agreement on order levels to meet budgeted order counts and cost levels
- Lead weather and disaster recovery calls for all markets affecting service model and consumer delivery window options working with Director of Operations Support
- Lead all delivery slot and routing support both in regular operations and during weather related adjustment periods; this includes off hours and weekends
- Oversees Master Linehaul Cross-Dock schedule for 3rd party carriers working with field operations on execution and schedule changes (optimization of delivery traffic)
- Develop any ad hoc requests related to routing and yield management for SVP level and below
- Travel to facilities and teach Directors, operators and transportation teams how Transportation Planning works and how to help work together and achieve best results
- Direct the Central Dispatch team including Manager and approximately 20+ FTE's in centralized on-road support center for a fleet scaling to 750+ trucks and $1.25 billion in annual revenue
- Lead a fast-paced team of support specialists controlling driver delivery activity across the PDL network supporting 14 shifts and near 24/7 operation by developing SOPs and continuously driving productivity
- Continually advance all Dispatch related technology/software including track and trace systems and call center phone systems working closely with the Customer Care department and Director of Network Services
- Lead continual development of Roadnet 3rd party technology driving enhancements and upgrades to continual increase productivity within Central Dispatch.
- Bachelor's Degree Required
- 15 Years+ in Transportation Planning & Management
- Super User of Roadnet Routing software
- Advanced Microsoft applications
- Strong technology systems background
- Thorough knowledge of Transportation Planning
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities
- Positive attitude that works well in gaining the trust of others in production environment
- Highly level of independence
- Strong managerial and leadership skills
- Ability to strategically plan business initiatives
- 10-20% Travel
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.