Senior Client Portfolio Manager at Morningstar
Morningstar is a place where talented, driven people can grow; where they’re trusted to help investors reach their financial goals.
The Group: The Morningstar Investment Management group (MIM) is a global team guided by Morningstar’s investment principles to deliver great long-term investment results and help investors reach their financial goals. We use our expertise in asset allocation, investment selection, and portfolio construction to create world-class investment strategies built on Morningstar’s research. The group specializes in multi-asset investing, using building blocks in equities, fixed-income, and alternative investments to construct robust portfolios. Through our investment offerings, we support financial advisors, institutions, and the investors they serve.
The Role: The Americas Investment Management group has formulated a new role, Senior Client Portfolio Manager, to lead investment management and advisory solutions to institutional and other non-wholesale clients that are generally subject to additional Fiduciary governance approval processes. Reporting into the Americas Chief Investment Officer (CIO), the Senior Client Portfolio Manager will work closely with the three existing members of the Client Portfolio Management team, the regional Head of Asset Allocation, as well as the Head of Account Management, Americas and others in the IM leadership team. The primary responsibility of this role is to focus on investment excellence with investment offerings built around world class investment management strategies leveraging our proprietary research, to deliver great long-term investment results to clients on behalf of members. This role also requires the ability to communicate our investment process and market conditions while building superb relationships with clients, investment consultants, and prospects. This role is based in Chicago and regular domestic travel is expected.
- Lead specific client strategies for the Investment Management group in the Americas consistent with the group’s Investment Principles and investment views.
- Contribute to and lead senior relationship management for assigned Investment Management clients; engaging strategically to improve relationships with clients and support the account management function.
- Manage and have primary responsibility for the investment outcomes of Registered product portfolios having regard for tax, fees and peer-relative objectives of the Fiduciaries.
- Drive the provision, quality and delivery of investment content and communication materials to clients.
- Manage, mentor and assist professional development for direct and indirect investment team members in the Americas team, including developing and mentoring analysts.
- Promote Investment Management through speaking at industry conferences, client events, roadshows, and due diligence days.
- Work with senior members of the Americas investment team to provide an effective, collaborative and transparent environment for investment discussion and decision-making.
- Support, encourage and participate in Global best practice working groups, ensuring appropriate representation of, and contribution from local investment experience.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Graduate degree related to investing is required, with a CFA designation preferable.
- Strong leadership capabilities coupled with a demonstrated ability to motivate and encourage high performing teams.
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills in a pure investment sense along with a high degree of investment acumen with demonstrated ability to deliver superior risk adjusted returns.
- 10+ years progressive hands-on investment experience, preferably multi-asset together with experience in leading an investment strategy and / or investment offering with client facing elements.
- In-depth experience and knowledge of markets and portfolio construction and management across multiple asset classes and in numerous market segments.
- Have a passion for investing, markets, investment research, and supporting innovative investment strategies and offerings to meet the needs the evolving market environments that our clients serve.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong external relationships with institutional investment committees and Board Directors.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, with experience producing high quality written materials for clients, media and publications.
- Broad recognition in the United States as an investment thought leader.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter with your application.