Senior Director OneIT Walgreens Connectivity Services
This role exists to provide oversight and responsibility for delivery of the network connectivity services that serve Walgreens Corporation, inclusive of retail outlets, corporate office sites, internally and externally managed datacenters, and interconnected contract and third party locations within the United States and offshore.
As organizations in today’s world become increasingly reliant on distributed and cloud technology, this role is particularly vital to ensure smooth business operations and continuity. The incumbent will lead the network and connectivity operations team with a strong focus on driving Service Delivery excellence and continually improving customer satisfaction. The candidate will act as a subject matter expert regarding the network design in support of business objectives as well as providing the options for critical service delivery, whilst building a cohesive team championing quality, sharing appropriate information and building depth of expertise.
He/she will ensure the Connectivity Services organization is securely, predictably and measurably delivering resilient and scalable/elastic technology infrastructure & services for all users. He/she will be responsible for developing robust recovery plans to minimize disruption to business due to service or technology related outages.
The initial year(s) of the role will also include a very strong focus on cross-WBA divisional change management, collaborating in development of a global connectivity services technology organization, managing teams, resources, suppliers and stakeholders through the change journey of moving connectivity services and activity from a local/divisional activity to a global strategy and a global set-up that leverages WBA size/scope and drives simplification while improving reliability and availability of technology.
The leader in this role will be passionate, bold and possess exceptional leadership skills. He/she will have managed teams (internal employees as well as outsourced resources) and should have experience in managing offshore resources at global scale.
The role reports to the VP, WBA OneIT Infrastructure and Operations Services, and will be based in the Chicago metropolitan area.
- Lead and direct operations involved in the design, engineering, implementation, support, and monitoring of network infrastructure environments to meet corporate and business needs including service delivery, technical support, deployment, administration, hardware management, process management and other related technical functions
- Oversee enterprise telecommunications and networking environments to ensure the infrastructure meets the customer requirements while adhering to established policies, procedures, and deadlines
- Manage the build-out, evolution, and operational support of enterprise network, and telecom solutions
- Work closely with suppliers, and 3rd parties to ensure IT industry best practice is followed to deliver solutions efficiently and effectively
- Develop and manage operational service metrics with actionable plans to improve operational efficiency, enhance service quality/SLA
- Lead network major Incident Management including communication, remediation, recovery, leveraging the central command and control capabilities
- Stay current with the latest technology trends with respect to network and connectivity (including cloud connectivity and cloud exchange) and proactively propose strategies to enhance application performance and business experience
- Negotiate with vendors / suppliers/ contractors to procure products and services with support from procurement team and the global OneIT vendor/partnership management team
- Responsible for financial management for all aspects of a service: P&L, TCO, internal pricing and chargeback, budget management, business case development, and cost justification
- Develop and manage the Connectivity Services operations budget
- Partner with WBA Global Information Security to ensure security, audit and compliance requirements are met
- Perform people management responsibility, including hiring, terminations, promotions, performance and compensation management, training and development
- Engages staff and peers in the WBA company vision, Champions our Customers (internal as well as external as appropriate), Drives for results setting high personal standards and demanding the same of others. Demonstrates courage and willingness to anticipate and drive positive change.
- Has a restless desire to innovate and go further. Sets an example to others through actively demonstrating and living the WBA Vision, Purpose and Values.
- Allocates available resources to meet operating objectives. Ensures the ongoing training and development of team members. Develops and mentors staff through on-boarding, open communication, training and development opportunities and performance management processes; builds and maintains employee morale and motivation; ensures the team is appropriately staffed with required competencies; fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of experience with deployment and management of large enterprise networks, network services, connectivity services, and enterprise management systems OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 13 years of experience with deployment and management of large enterprise networks, network services, connectivity services, and enterprise management systems.
- At least 8 years of engineering, architecture and design of complex data, voice, and converged networks.
- At least 8 years of experience in large corporate environments, managing teams across different geographies and boundaries.
- Experience with voice, data, and converged connectivity services (telecom, route/switch, DNS, load balancers and firewalls, etc.) and networking aspects of cloud (connectivity, cloud exchange).
- Experience with vendor management and negotiation skills in a complex international multi-vendor service environment.
- Experience in the development of enterprise systems management and security services in support of multi-vendor global service delivery landscapes
- Experience with telecomm management and carrier relations.
- Experience conducting periodic third party rate and service reviews, and in achieving continual service improvements and rate reductions.
- Experience working with Cloud transformations and the resultant impact on Network and Communications services.
- Experience developing and presenting concepts, plans and status to both senior managers (up to CIO-level) and technical staff.
- Experience fostering and driving organizational change, within a highly matrixed environment, through process optimization, change leadership and the development of a strong network of partners.
- Experience in multi-year enterprise-level financial planning.
- Experience managing global teams with insourced and outsourced operations as well as offshore teams.
- It is expected that the candidate will be based in Chicago, Illinois. It is estimated that the role requires approximately 10% of time traveling nationally/internationally in support of US retail operations, vendor management, and in collaboration and coordination with other WBA divisional teams.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or equivalent degree.