Senior IT Principal Architect at Walgreens
Leads research, development, and implementation of enterprise-wide architectural concepts, principles and tools. Assesses business viability of new technologies. Consults with other senior level IT professionals and senior management to assess and evaluate current strategies. Makes recommendations, gains approval and develops implementation strategy for new technologies.
Acts as advocate for change to provide innovative, creative technology solutions. Prepares and delivers presentations to top-level management on new technology and its impact on the organization. Provides guidance to other architects throughout the enterprise. Stays abreast of the latest technology infrastructure and processes in the industry and marketplace.
- Leads research, development, and implementation of enterprise-wide architectural concepts, principles and tools. Leads in defining major sections of architecture to ensure that the organization's architectural solutions are built within a consistent framework. Serves as subject matter expert to the architecture function
- Assesses business viability of new technologies. Consults with other senior level IT professionals and senior management to assess and evaluate current strategies. Makes recommendations, gains approval and develops implementation strategy for new technologies. Leads the decision-making processes related to the selection of architecture solutions. Performs systems and applications performance characterization and trade-off studies through analysis and simulation for most complex technologies.
- Acts as advocate for change to provide innovative, creative technology solutions. Prepares and delivers presentations to top-level management on new technology and its impact on the organization.
- Oversees the creation of design documents that ensure consistency in development across the organization.
- Serves as a technical and business-savvy resource to engineering personnel on a wide range of design issues.
- Implements and improves core architectural infrastructure. Develops improvements to core architectural infrastructure and coding standards. Reviews and approves design documents that ensure consistency in development across the organization.
- Develops the technical “vision” and designs specifications of strategic/complex projects. Implements activities that impact the critical directions of the organization. Assigned to the most critical, strategic, complex and/or high risk initiatives.
- Recognized internally and externally as an expert in the field. Determines leading edge technical / business approaches and/or develops major new technical tools.
- Interacts with internal and external peers and management to develop unprecedented solutions that affect several departments. "Evangelizes" new ideas, technologies and solutions to gain acceptance from a wide range of audiences.
- Serves as a liaison between engineering, quality assurance and non-technical stakeholders throughout the development and deployment process. Shares highly-complex information related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology / business solutions.
- Anticipates and prevents problems and roadblocks before they occur.
- Performs systems and applications performance characterization and trade-off studies through analysis and simulation.
- Provides guidance to other architects throughout the enterprise. Guides and mentors a wide range of audiences. Leads teams on projects to guide timely and accurate delivery of new features or technical improvements.
- Stays abreast of the latest technology infrastructure and processes in the industry and marketplace. Makes decisions/recommendations to use innovative, creative approaches as appropriate to meet business needs.
- Mentors less experienced members of the team. Leads teams / projects and implementations.
- May represent IT Technology in internal or external forums.
Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) is a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy, touching millions of lives every day through dispensing and distributing medicines, its convenient retail locations, digital platforms and health and beauty products. The Company has more than 100 years of trusted healthcare heritage and innovation in community pharmacy and pharmaceutical wholesaling.
WBA is the largest retail pharmacy, health and daily living destination across the U.S. and Europe. WBA is one of the world’s largest purchasers of prescription drugs and many other health and wellbeing products. The Company’s size, scale, and expertise will help position us to expand the supply of, and address the rising cost of, prescription drugs in the U.S. and worldwide.
Including through its equity method investments, WBA:
- is present in more than 25* countries
- employs more than 440,000* people
- has more than 18,750* stores in 11* countries
- has one of the largest global pharmaceutical wholesale and distribution networks, with more than 400* distribution centers delivering to more than 240,000** pharmacies, doctors, health centers and hospitals each year in more than 20* countries.
The Company’s portfolio of retail and business brands includes Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots and Alliance Healthcare, as well as increasingly global health and beauty product brands, such as No7, Soap & Glory, Liz Earle, Botanics, Sleek MakeUP and YourGoodSkin.
WBA’s purpose is to help people across the world lead healthier and happier lives. The Company is proud to be a force for good through its contributions to healthy communities, a healthy planet, an inclusive workplace and a sustainable marketplace. Our businesses have been recognized for their Corporate Social
- Bachelor's degree and at least 8 years of experience in an IT engineering and/or architecture role OR High school / GED and at least 11 years of experience in an IT engineering and/or architecture role.
- At least 6 years of leadership experience in server side or client side technologies
- Experience in domain-specific architecture concepts and emerging technologies. (Design patterns, frameworks, current Java based solutions, mobile, OR Infrastructure Administration OR Data Sciences)
- At least 4 year of experience in domain-specific Architecture.
- Experience working with matrix teams including teams in different time zones;
- Experience creating and promoting guiding development principles and influencing development teams, business users and management in adoption of technical solutions.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Information technology, Engineering, Science, or Math.
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of innovation and comprehensive technology solutioning
- Experience with cloud infrastructure and provisioning technologies such as Azure or Google Cloud Iaas and PaaS capabilities
- Experience with Java/J2EE and other modern frameworks
- Experience designing and implementing REST APIs, third-party integrations using enterprise integration patterns, and enterprise service bus components
- Knowledge of Micro-services style architecture
- Experience implementing back-end API services according to design reference documents and modify existing assets to fit requirements
- Experience implementing or adopting Enterprise’s Continuous Deployment and Integration
- Experience performing automated Unit Testing and Integration Testing
- Experience resolving technical issues related to infrastructure, programming or packages
- Experience with one or more of the following: Atlassian tool set: Bamboo, bitBucket (Git), Maven/Gradle, Junit, Artifactory – Jfrog , Docker, Cloud Foundry and Chef
- Knowledge of Robotic Process Automation
- Experience with R&D and innovation type activities
- Experience with innovation accelerators
- Global experience
- Pharmacy or Healthcare industry knowledge