The Mainframe Systems Programmer plans, installs, tests, administers, maintains, updates and implements VTAM, TCPIP, FTP, SFTP, TLS, CA/Spool, LRS VPS/DRS, InfoPrint, JQP, XPTR, Connect : Direct, XCOM, Enterprise Extender, Session Manager and mainframe network related software. Diagnoses, resolves, and documents system problems. Supports client mainframe Network environments and participates in client discussions as needed.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for IT mainframe Network systems programming and general product support including configuring interfaces to other subsystems.
- Plans, coordinates, installs, configures, tests, administers, maintains, updates, implements, tracks changes and/or provides corrective maintenance to mainframe Network-related software.
- Diagnoses, resolves, and documents mainframe Network-related problems.
- Adheres to ITIL, Change and Problem Management process.
- Effectively communicates with software suppliers, peers, clients and Leadership.
- Maintains current software and products by ensuring system availability and performance in accordance with service agreements.
- Monitors and reports on system/product performance, reliability and consistency.
- Prioritizes and balances tasks, issues and concerns with self, team and clients.
- Increases efficiency through automation and/or template utilization as appropriate.
- Review and seek out cost reductions, efficiency improvements and better methods to support applicable technology environments.
- Keeps informed of latest industry, trends, products, services with relevant existing and emerging technologies.
- Develops leads and manages system programming projects including project management.
- Trains and communicates with Associates and Clients for new upgrades and products.
- Assists Client applications with problem determination and problem solving
- Mainframe Network System Programmer responsibilities are determined by departmental need and may include partial support of technology silos related to several areas such as:
- Operating systems z/OS, Z/VM, Z/Linux
- Network systems, CICS, MQ, Netview, Netmaster, TCP/IP, VTAM, NDM, FTP, EE, CA/Spool, LRS VPS/DRS, InfoPrint, JQP, XPTR, Connect:Direct, XCOM
- Capacity Planning/Performance processor, Networks and storage
- Database Systems DB2, IMS, IDMS, ADABASE, NATURAL, UDB, DATACOM
- Security tools ACF2, Top Secret, RACF
- Storage platforms Tape, Virtual Tape, DASD
- Third Party software tools
- Automated Operations systems AF Operator, OPS/MVS, UNICENTER
5 to 10 years’ mainframe networking experience is preferred with overall mainframe systems experience a plus.
Good communication skills are required as the candidate will be dealing with internal colleagues as well as external clients.