Senior Manager, Compensation
tronc, one of the country’s leading multimedia companies, is seeking a Senior Manager of Compensation to join our Total Rewards team. At tronc we continue to drive transformation and help power the future of digital news while promoting award-winning, culture-impacting journalism. If you’d like to directly impact the success of our company (and would like to grow with us, of course), then this may be the job for you!
In this role, you will design, implement, communicate and administer the company’s compensation programs and provide compensation solutions that align with company objectives and shareholder interests. This position will lead a small Compensation team to provide compensation advice and counsel including analyzing job requirements, consulting on pay levels and evaluating positions. The position will also lead the annual compensation projects, prepare materials for submission to the Board of Directors and ensure the company has high quality compensation data at its fingertips to inform decisions. The ideal candidate will be a thought leader in Compensation – with deep knowledge of all facets of compensation – from broad-based to incentive compensation, sales plans and executive compensation.
- A comprehensive rewards package - we know that salary alone isn’t all you’re looking for, which is why we provide a 401(k) plan with match, and offer great medical, dental, and vision insurance - we even pay for your life insurance. We offer employees access to coordinated discounts and perks through an outside agreement, as well as allow time off during the year to help you achieve work/life balance.
- A supportive work environment - we value our department culture, founded on bright people with passion for their work and for transforming our organization.
- An innovative and collaborative team that listens and implements great ideas, no matter where in the department they come from – team members of all levels are respected and heard.
tronc, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRNC) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, tronc operates newsrooms in ten markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, New York Daily News, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Virginia’s Daily Press, and The Virginian-Pilot, The Morning Call of Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, and the Hartford Courant. Our legacy of brands has earned a combined 60 Pulitzer Prizes and is committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities.
Our brands create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.
- Responsible for the design, development and implementation of market leading yet cost-effective salary, bonus and equity programs to build a unified culture.
- Provide subject matter expertise, counsel and support in the design, development, implementation and ongoing administration of short and long-term incentive compensation programs.
- Monitor the effectiveness of current executive compensation programs, evaluate best practices and drive process improvement initiatives
- Review organizational structure, job evaluations, and financial statistics and negotiate final programs.
- Review, analyze and make recommendations regarding base salary programs, incentive compensation programs, sales compensation and other variable pay programs, and executive compensation programs for internal and external competitiveness.
- Lead the annual incentive and equity grant process and, in conjunction with the Vice President/Total Rewards, manage the preparation of materials for the Compensation Committee and Board of Director meetings.
- Monitor the effectiveness of and provide compensation consulting services in the areas of job design, job evaluation, competitive market analysis and job requisition review. Review changes to ensure that positions are properly classified and that there is consistency between departments and business units.
- Conduct and supervise the participation in complex compensation surveys to determine and maintain a competitive position and recommends changes to ensure that compensation objectives are met.
- Develop techniques to compile, prepare and present data in response to special requests from internal divisions, as well as survey companies and the general industry.
- Ensure timely completion of compensation projects.
- Understand the customer needs and design work plans accordingly.
- Consult with Managers on interpretation of compensation policies and programs.
- Conduct various compensation analyses and provides reports to management as required.
- Maintain an external focus on best practices, regulatory requirements and the competitive environment.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree and 8-10 years of demonstrated compensation experience in all aspects of compensation. A Master’s degree and/or a CCP certification is a plus.
- Demonstrate knowledge and thought leadership of current market trends and leading compensation strategies to attract top talent.
- Possess the ability to blend compensation philosophy, best in class compensation methods/programs, and business realities.
- Have deep experience in the design and delivery of Sales and Executive compensation programs
- Possess superb technical skills -- strong spreadsheet, mathematical, problem solving, analytical. Expertise in Workday and database programs like Microsoft Access is preferred, but not required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills enthusiasm and positive outlook
- Highly collaborative, with strong creative thinking and ability to adapt and flex to changing business needs. Our success and credibility is based on how well we know the organization and our employees.
- Operate with high integrity and ethics.