Senior Manager Compliance Programs at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
What You’ll Do
Responsible for leading teams that verify that business operating units are compliant with all appropriate local, state and federal regulations through execution of the 1st line consumer compliance testing plan, relevant controls, establishment of testing design, collaboration with business management to identify compliance issues and corrective action plans, and support the issuance of compliance findings to communicate the scope and severity of concerns identified to the applicable level of management. The role is responsible for managing (directly and indirectly) Testing department personnel.
How You’ll Do It
- Manage a team that maintains and enhances 1st line testing of controls and associated control standard requirements including transaction and control testing. Provide support, coaching, and counsel to the team. Manage the development of team members by authoring and assigning goals, conducting periodic coaching and feedback reviews, and administering annual performance evaluations.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of DFS, banking industry, compliance concepts, regulations, and respective requirements and identify opportunities to enhance overall team development (e.g. mentoring, developing case study presentations, filtering and escalating feedback from the broader team, sharing webinar, financial/compliance industry articles, conference take-a-ways not available to others etc.)
- Lead the execution of the 1st line testing plan, and propose adjustments to the plan according to current risk environment and business priorities
- Ensure high quality of testing workpapers
- Engage with data scientists on requirements to develop data analytic routines to support and automate compliance transaction testing
- Demonstrated ability to research regulatory compliance requirements, develop testing programs and recommend enhancements to ensure bank adherence to regulations
- Create and update status reports of program initiatives, activities, and compliance issues to management and committees.
- Delegated authority to act on behalf of Director, responsibility and duties as appropriate (i.e. attend meetings, issue reports, make decisions, lead resolution of critical issues etc.)
- Communicate and escalate concerns, potential risks, issues, or deficiencies identified that may have enterprise-wide impact to senior management to drive culture of compliance
- Provide effective challenge in leveraging data analytics to develop testing approach; analyze output to target testing activities
- Oversee review execution including performing final signoff on the validity and integrity of the work product
- Building and maintaining relationships with business partners (e.g. Internal Audit, Business Risk Office and the Business Operating Units)
- Strong organizational and project management skills and the ability to execute on multiple projects and understand how they fit into the larger Compliance Testing Program
- Develops innovative solutions, involving other team members to promote a collaborative environment within the team
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in business, security, law, computer science, data analytics, risk, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in compliance, law, risk, operations, regulatory examination, audit or related field
- 5+ years of experience in people management
- In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of experience in compliance, law, risk, operations, including people management
Bonus Points If You Have
- Experience or working knowledge of the card, consumer banking and lending industry including home loans, student loans and personal loans
- Master's degree in business administration, finance, accounting, security, law, computer science, data analytics, risk, or related field
- 10+ years of experience in compliance, law, risk, operations, regulatory examination, audit or related field
- CRCM, JD, CISA, or similar license/certification
- Effective communication skills (both orally and in writing) with all levels of management
- Broad knowledge and application of Risk Management programs (e.g. Regulatory, Operational, Financial, Credit etc.) risk assessments, testing and monitoring, training, and policy
- Knowledge of regulatory environment, expectations, ratings
- Knowledge and understanding of the components of Compliance Management System and how the information pulls together (e.g. Corporate Hierarchy; mapped controls, procedures, risks etc.)
- Excellent analytic skills and the ability to dissect complex situations and processes
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.