Senior Manager of Customer References at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The Customer Reference Program helps cultivate a network of high-value customers who will serve as advocates for Upwork and flexible models of work to share their success stories and best practices through our marketing and sales channels.
The Senior Manager of Customer References will be instrumental in helping Upwork expand and scale it’s Customer Reference Program by delivering a multi-dimensional portfolio of advocates and stories that increase market awareness, accelerate the sales cycle and help articulate the journey towards adoption flexible workforce models. S/he must cultivate strong relationships with sales and marketing to identify, secure and nurture advocates. This person must have a proven track record of working cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders, establish relationships with VPs/Director level partners, and develop an exceptional client experience. Success in this role hinges on understanding business priorities, sales processes and customer perceptions and considerations.
This is an exciting role for professionals who are energized by building relationships, highlighting customer success stories and evangelizing them across the organization. This is an incredible year to join Upwork’s Customer Reference Program as companies increasingly see the value in showcasing how they are evolving their workforce to adapt to changes in the market.
- Work closely with internal stakeholders to identify potential client advocates.
- Secure advocates and develop plans for engaging individuals based on their ability to validate Upwork’s business value, establish confidence in new models of work. Marketing activities include: speaking engagements, case studies, video testimonials, to name a few.
- Identify opportunities to acknowledge and reward ardent advocates by providing them with speaking opportunities, executive meetings, thought-leadership platforms, etc.
- Develop comprehensive plans to amplify success stories across various marketing and sales channels.
- Manage and prioritize multiple requests for customers’ time and content across key initiatives and are a fit for customer(s)
- Oversee approvals for all client customer content across marketing, PR, IR, and internal channels to ensure is in line with customers’ expectations and communicated to support our partnership
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 5-10 years of reference manager/customer and/or partner advocacy experience or sales, inside sales, customer support or marketing experience.
- Excellent communication and project management skills and a consultative approach to identifying problems and finding solutions while always advocating for our customers
- Passion for storytelling and sharing Upwork’s story to help bring in new customers
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Customer-service mindset and mentality
- Team player who can work effectively and efficiently with others
How to really knock our socks off:
- Sales and Marketing (or PR) experience working with all levels within organizations
- Extraordinary communication who has the ability to connect, find stories, and build relationships across all levels within organizations
- Proficient in Excel, Powerpoint and CRM software
- Experience in the staffing industry or interest in the changing world of work
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. Whether you’re working from our offices in San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Chicago or are part of our globally distributed team, we’re working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. Our vibrant culture is built on a common mission and shared values. As we create economic opportunities so that people have better lives, our employees build amazing teams, put our community first and have a bias towards action. We encourage team Upwork to bring their whole selves to work through learning and development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. All that and amazing benefits too? We’ve got you covered (especially with our company favorite, Work Online Wednesdays). Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.