Senior Manager, Field Services
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Peapod continues to be a consumer-facing eCommerce brand, and is part of Peapod Digital Labs, focused on growing Peapod sales to consumers.
Browse the Aisles-
This role implements, manages and optimizes the last mile delivery fleet and driver operations for e-commerce within the network. The purpose of this position is to direct high-quality delivery execution and is inclusive of both delivery driver training, safety and fleet management. Additionally, this role is responsible for all relevant last mile needs such as truck acquisition/design, maintenance, fueling, driver SOPs, safety programs and driver handheld technology.
Recipe for Success - What's “in store” for the role
- Lead all truck acquisitions working closely with the Last Mile Services Lead, includes vehicle design, financing and return of aged/leased assets
- Responsible for fleet maintenance with 3rd party vendors ensuring a cost effective and safe operating environment (approx. 800 vehicles)
- Continuously seek ways to reduce truck maintenance costs, through vendor relations, contracts or vehicle design
- Manage the leased truck return process for approximately 150-200 trucks annually spread across 27 distribution center
- Develop driver safety program and initiatives
- Develop best practices for all forms of driver training across brands
The Essentials In Your Cart - The required ingredients
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Business preferred
- 20+ years in grocery last mile distribution, grocery and transportation management
- Advanced knowledge of truck platforms including chassis and cargo box manufacturing
- Expertise in truck maintenance including functional, pricing and vendor comparison
- Strong knowledge of best in class last Mile delivery practices and standards, separate from over-the-road distribution
- Knowledge of grocery distribution best practices upstream from Last Mile operations
- Extensive experience with medium duty/Class 5 truck space including Hino, Freightliner, GMC and Ford
- Knowledge of custom truck body manufacturing and design(ie Morgan Olson or Supreme)
- Advanced knowledge of truck end-of-lease return process to minimize financial exposure with lenders. Work closely with banks/financers and 3rd party auditors
- Truck insurance and industry leading safety standards/practices
- Strong understanding of fleet safety technology ie Lytx platform
- Expert in budget planning for transportation, particularly truck, fuel and maintenance. Financial acumen in building annual budgets but also forecasts off annual planning cycle.
- Advanced negotiating skills, all heavily used with truck maintenance contracts and truck acquisition/design
- Change management skills, particularly in operating environment where production needs to continue without impact to customers
- Skills to implement globally directed changes across differing sub-cultures at different distribution points
- Ability to present, show and tell to a wide array of levels, from drivers up to drirector level management and above
Extra Spices - What you should bring to the table
- Ability to drive continous improvement and high execution levels across dozens of distribution points, each with their own fleet and driver force
- Strong ability to understand global level initiatives/practices but drive change and quality execution down to the field operations level(individual managers and drivers)
- Recognition of different operating environments needs vs standard practices while enabling continuous improvement
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.