Senior Network Engineer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Researches, designs, develops and tests operating systems-level software, compilers and network distribution software for medical, industrial, military, communications, aerospace, business, scientific and general computing applications. Set operational specifications and formulate and analyze software requirements. Designs embedded systems software. Applies principles and techniques of computer science, engineering and mathematical analysis.
- Directs software programming and development of documentation.
- Consults with customers or other departments on project status, proposals or technical issues, such as software system design or maintenance.
- Modifies existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
- Analyzes information to determine, recommend and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
- Develops or directs software system testing or validation procedures.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, MIS or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Application Software Development or related experience
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in Applications Software Development or related experience
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Understanding of IP Networking including practical knowledge of Firewalls and DNS.
- Solid understanding of UNIX/Linux
- Experience with Scripting in bash scripting, python, java script is a plus.
- Experience in one or more of the following is preferred: C, C++, Java, Python / Netmiko, TCL, Perl or Ruby.
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, scripting, pipeline management, and software design.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts in a simple, clear way with Engineering, Operations and other stakeholders.
- Some experience in designing or enforcing IT Security
- Experience with Cloud providers like AWS is a plus.
- Previous work experience with Openshift/Kubernetes
- Experience working as a Software Engineer is a plus
- Experience with Jenkins/Github preferred
- Ability to help debug and optimize code and automate routine task
- Experience with one or more enterprise level network monitoring and automation tools, such as:Splunk, ServiceNow, AppDynamics is a plus
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.