Senior Principal Network Engineer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for having an expert level of knowledge of network domain technologies, platforms and principles, to include: route/switch protocols, LAN/WAN, wireless networking, data center, high-availability design, Application Delivery Controller, Web Application Firewall, Domain Name Service and IP management, Data Visibility Fabric, Content Delivery Network, Data Analytics, WAN optimization, Network Time Protocol and Network Monitoring.
Leads efforts to develop strategic architecture for next generation network services and emerging transport methods. Makes well thought out decisions on complex or ambiguous network engineering issues. Engineers, develops and tests complex infrastructure. Establishes and communicates common goals and direction for team. Acts as a source of direction, training and guidance for less experienced team members. Monitors project schedules and unit/total costs. Provides escalation support as required.
The individual will also be responsible for defining monitoring and trending scenarios for the operational teams to increase efficiencies. Drive complex modifications and/or upgrades to existing network infrastructure in support of evolving enterprise requirements. Is vigilant on unit cost reduction and cost containment.
- Architects, Designs, Engineers platforms into production enterprise infrastructure. Runs medium to large enterprise infrastructure projects from requirements gathering to post implementation.
- Investigates and analyzes new technologies. Independently analyzes business problems and operational data from one or more sources to formulate solutions of significant complexity. Responsible for identifying various technical alternatives and clearly defining specifications. Performs lab research and proof of concept work as appropriate.
- Proactively and methodically improves quality and efficiency through automation of network services.
- Cost containment / Cost reduction. Understands basic financials and the costs associated with delivering technology solutions and subsequently engineer solutions that align with a financial business model
- Business Relationship / Vendor Management. Stays abreast of current vendors and products, anticipates change and has a plan in place to react to the change
B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Science, or related degree
15 years of Network Design, Engineering and Programming or related
CCNP and CCIE Certifications
- M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Science, or related degree
- Experience in Cisco Nexus Datacenter Concepts / Platforms including 2k, 5k, 7k, 9k
- Experience with application content delivery technologies such as F5 (LTM/GTM) and Citrix NetScaler
- Demonstrated experience with QoS design
- Expert working knowledge and experience with routing protocols OSPF, BGP etc.
- Expert working knowledge and experience with Spanning-Tree, HSRP, VRRP and tunneling protocols
- Demonstrated fundamental knowledge and experience with virtualized compute environments, i.e. Hypervisor, UCS, ESX
- Demonstrated advanced proficiencies and expertise in the following Datacenter technologies: FEX, VDC, VPC, Fabric-Path, VRF, OTV, LISP, VXLAN
- Ensures compliance with change control processes and adherence to standards
- Experience with managing highly complex network projects (planning, organizing and managing timelines / objectives
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.