Senior Underwriter - Personal Lines at Kin Insurance
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:43 p.m. (CST) on Saturday, February 22, 2020
At Kin, we’re looking for self-motivated thinkers ready to make a change for our customers. We value tackling challenges and breaking down walls – but being chill about it.
Kin Insurance is an insur-tech startup that sells affordable, user-friendly homeowners insurance. Unlike many startups that gather users and figure out how to be profitable later, we are selling a product that homeowners need and depend on now. We’re innovating in an industry largely untouched by tech, so we are always thinking big.
We believe autonomy is key to job satisfaction, which is why we say the person closest to the problem should solve it. It’s also why we offer unlimited vacation time: we trust in our team to manage their own projects and time. If you want the chance to develop your skills, work with some of the best minds in the industry, and see what you’re really capable of, come learn and grow with us.
So, what’s the role?
We are looking for an experienced Underwriter within the Property and Casualty space to join our small but growing team. Since we tackle insurance differently, we are looking for this individual to bring in their expertise and knowledge to the team but to help us continue to find more effective and efficient ways to get the job done.
You’ll work closely with our insurance product team as well as our operations team to create and enforce underwriting guidelines and ensure all needed teams have the necessary information to do their job well. You may find yourself assisting with updating and training on underwriting guidelines, working with leadership to lend your expertise to business decisions, or reviewing quotes and policies to make sure they meet our standards.
A day in the life could include:
- Review submissions of customer’s information to ensure underwriting adherence and system accuracy. Our system does a good job of gathering all the required information for a review and is able to underwrite many customers automatically but at times we’ll need your expertise
- Review inspections in a timely manner and identify all hazards with recommendations on how to correct the adverse conditions
- Dig into the data, create new reports and analyses in order to find opportunities to improve the logic of our automated system
- Find and implement process improvements to make our underwriting and inspections more automated and efficient
- Creating or update underwriting documents and templates to maintain standard underwriting protocol
- Communicate underwriting decisions with agents, and help continue to build the collective insurance knowledge base
- Collaborate with the insurance team to develop new ways to evaluate risk and identify ways to improve customer workflows and automation
I’ve got the skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 6 years + Personal Lines work experience in underwriting or operations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and critical thinking
- Analytical minded and data-driven
- Strong communication and persuasion skills
- Clear and concise communication evidencing logical thinking - you’re comfortable being challenged and engaging in professional debate
- Understanding carrier guidelines and managing underwriting relationships from an agency perspective
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Being in the insurance industry, we recognize the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. That’s why we provide a variety of options and coverage levels to customize a plan that’s right for you.
Commuter Benefit Plans
Flex Spending Accounts
Paid Parental Leave
Onsite gym membership
Company provided lunch several times a month
Rotating option of snacks, daily
Sodas, unlimited flavored waters, coffee
These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide!
Read Full Job Description