Solution Architect Manager at Motorola Solutions
If you are a current Motorola Solutions employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.Company Overview
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Department OverviewSoftware Enterprise (SE) System Deployment and Integration (SDI) is a group that delivers on premise and cloud based software solutions to the public safety sector. The group is committed to providing technology and tools which will allow customers to focus on their mission, and enable them to respond faster with smarter and safer decisions. SE-SDI deploys and supports products such as 911 Call Handling, Computer Aided Dispatch, Records Management Systems, Jail Management Systems, Mobile Data Computing, and Intelligent Led Policing Solutions among other offerings.
The Solutions Architect Manager will report to the Regional Software Services Director and will be responsible for all Solutions Architect activities within the region (infrastructure and interfaces). Primary outcomes for the position are realizing of regional project and revenue goals, effectively organizing the team’s work / resource management, and people development.
The Manager will manage a team of managers and individual contributors providing resource management and assignments, guidance, mentoring, and training and development support. The Manager will also be expected to be able to perform the normal duties of a Solutions Architect and must therefore be knowledgeable on all facets of the Solutions Architect role.
The Manager will be responsible for setting goals, performance management reviews, scheduling, day to day monitoring of the individual team members’ performance, training and development planning, time entry approval, and expense report approval.
● Set and measure team members’ goals
● Provide training/coaching/mentor/counseling of team members
● Leverage agile tools and other methods to ensure effective resource management and work completion
● Recruit and train additional team members based on business needs
● Ensure high utilization of resources and make adjustments, as appropriate
● Work with the Project Management Manager to plan, prioritize, and schedule project resources
● Participate in the development and approval of Methods of Procedure
● Work collaboratively with other Managers (PM, AS, ECH) within the Region to ensure successful deployment of projects
● Work with Solutions Architect Managers from the other Regions to ensure consistency, share best practices and implement lessons learned
● Drive process improvement and best practices across the Solutions Architect disciplines (infrastructure, interfaces, etc.).
● Work with Support, Engineering and Product Management teams to ensure training and development materials match current and future needs
● Perform normal Solutions Architect tasks, as needed
● Participate in pre-contract evaluation of system designs and scope in order to evaluate and mitigate potential risks/gaps
● Participate in pre-contract oral presentations and customer negotiations
● Attend leadership and management training, as required
● Maintain subject matter expert skills
● Approve Travel and Expense reports
● Approve Time Sheets
● Bachelor degree desired
● Experience in Public Safety Application deployment and integration and/or operations and administration desired
● Experience in the design and implementation of complex systems, including integration with 3rd party products and services
● Deep knowledge and experience of Public Safety operating environments & enabling technologies, including PSAPs and 911 business processes desired
● Deep knowledge and expertise in Next Generation Public Safety trends and standards
● Working knowledge and understanding of:
○ Server Virtualization, specifically with VMWare ESXi v.6+ and\or Microsoft Hyper-V 2012+
○ Database Servers, specifically with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2\2012\2016\2017
○ Server Operating Systems, specifically Windows Server 2008 R2\2012\2012 R2\2016\2017
○ MS SQL Server and Query Analyzer, MS Enterprise
○ MS Windows Server and IP Networking (TCP/IP Protocols)
● Experience managing a team of professionals
● Experience leading highly complex projects
● Experience leading and directing the work activities of teams across organizational/functional boundaries
● Ability to apply critical thinking skills to make decisions, troubleshoot issues, identify mitigation strategies and exercise good judgment in selection of methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
● Ability to work collaboratively with regional and territorial management
● Ability to effectively communicate with relevant peer and senior stakeholders
This position is subject to working in high security areas governed by the US Department of Justice's "Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Policy" and therefore requires successfully passing a more stringent fingerprint background check administered by Motorola Solutions Inc. customers.
At least 10+ years professional experience in application deployment and integration and/or operations and administration.
Must be able to obtain background clearance as required by government customer
Referral Payment PlanYes
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.