The Ascension Studio is seeking a Senior Director, Service Design to collaborate in our work creating the future of people-centered healthcare. This role will be responsible for leading the Service Design discipline, serving as part of Studio leadership, and supporting the use of human-centered design across the organization.
Ideally, this person should be located in St. Louis, Chicago, or Austin.
Ascension, one of the largest non-profit healthcare systems in the United States, has established an in-house, interdisciplinary Research & Design team tasked with designing the technology-enabled services and experiences of healthcare across the entire spectrum of care delivery. This team – in deep collaboration with colleagues in product management, technology, clinical practice, and more – uses human-centered design methods to understand the needs and motivations of our patients and clinicians and bring solutions to life.
Our team, comprised of Experience Research, Service Design, Communications Design, and UX Design, aspires to create seamless, end-to-end experiences for those we serve through a cohesive ecosystem of well-designed, user-friendly services, products, and applications. From problem discovery to product delivery, we put people at the center of everything we do.
What You Will Do
As Senior Director of Service Design, you will lead the Service Design discipline and represent it within Studio leadership and Ascension operations. This will include mentoring and developing team members, setting and fulfilling strategy for the discipline, and ensuring high quality service design work through implementation of best practices.
The Service Design team is responsible for creating seamless service experiences for patients, caregivers, and clinicians, with consideration for entire end-to-end journeys. As a comprehensive healthcare system that includes a vast range of healthcare services, this could include the design of virtual care delivery, nurse communications, remote health monitoring, operating room operations, financial transparency and payment, care coordination, and more.
Expert capability in assessing service journeys, creating journey maps and service blueprints, and the use of human-centered design methods are critical to this role. An understanding of how services interplay with digital experiences, technology, communications, and physical environments is highly valued, as is experience with healthcare, retail services, and behavioral economics.
The work of the team is anchored in human-centered design methodology and includes research and synthesis to understand latent user needs, design explorations to iteratively generate design options, ample prototyping to bring ideas to life, collaboration with product, operations, marketing, and clinical colleagues, and a relentless passion for engaging directly with the user to continuously improve their experience.
- Set and drive strategy for scaling design impact across the organization
- Hire and cultivate talent within the Service Design discipline
- Scope, staff, and advise complex and strategic design programs, including both those within the Studio and in an advisory capacity to other teams within Ascension
- Serve as subject matter expert on human-centered design, design thinking, and Service Design
- Participate in strategic prioritization and roadmapping of the Studio portfolio
- Guide and participate in design activities across exploratory, evaluative, and validation phases, including but not limited to research, synthesis, ideation, co-design sessions, prototyping, production design, and launch
- Inspire Studio teams and Ascension leadership through communication of experience visions and advocating for great design within healthcare
What You Will Need
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with a focus on Design, or equivalent experience applying your degree in relevant Design roles.
- 7 years of professional experience in Service Design required, 10 years preferred.
- 5 years of leadership or management experience preferred.
- Experience building and leading Service Design teams and operations.
- A passion for people and helping them flourish through design
- Experience representing Service Design and human-centered design with executive leadership
- A strong portfolio of work in service design, showcasing experience across the span of the design process
- Experience in designing with a wide range of service experience touchpoints, such as interpersonal communications, digital technologies, physical communications collateral, and physical space design
- Fluency in service design methods, such as creation of user journeys, service blueprints, service playbooks, service provider training, and more
- Experience collaborating with UX design, and operations teams, as well as managing engagements with external partners
- Excellent storytelling and technical communication skills
Portfolio required. Please include a link to your portfolio on your resume.
Why Join Our Team
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites of care – including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.