Systems Engineer at Motorola Solutions
If you are a current Motorola Solutions employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.Company Overview
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Department OverviewAt Motorola Solutions, we help people be their best in the moments that matter. We help firefighters see around buildings and police officers see around street corners. Our work is very meaningful, impactful, and cutting edge and we invite you to explore it. We are the Best!
Motorola Solutions is a world leader in the field of professional mobile communications systems with an impressive heritage of technological innovations and a global base of installed systems. The group's main business is the implementation of mission critical digital mobile communication systems for Government & Public Safety Communications customers
Scope of Responsibilities/Expectations:
Our Company has an outstanding track record of success and strives to build long term relationships with our customers. Customer satisfaction is given great emphasis and we strive to build a trusted advisor relationship with every customer.
The Chicago Solutions team comprises Sales, Project Management, System Engineering and System Technologist personnel working together in a high performance culture, often with demanding cycle times and high customer expectations because we are working on mission critical communication systems.
Many of our systems are designed around the APCO Project 25 communications standard. With the growth of data services some of our customer’s mobile wireless networks are being enhanced with LTE infrastructure for applications such as live mobile video transmission supplementing our traditional core voice and narrowband data networks.
The Chicago Systems Engineer will be responsible for overseeing all technical aspects of assigned project(s) from award until system acceptance.
- Final Design and implementation of the radio network including infrastructure, subscribers, and mobile backhaul
- Delivering professional presentations
- System staging
- System acceptance testing
- Radio coverage testing and interference mitigation
- Radio system licensing (FCC/Industry Canada/NTIA)
- Preparation of system fleetmap, encryption and radio programming templates
- Develop and maintain engineering designs, diagrams, and bill of materials.
- Provide technical support and advice to PM and Installation teams.
- Working with Operations and Project Managers, to complete site walks to determine specific client needs and scope.
- Create project specific install plans, scope documents, and test plans
- Configure, integrate, and troubleshoot equipment as required; provides support and assistance to third parties for sub-contracted activities.
- Act as external liaison for customers’ general contractors, subcontractors and trades people as needed during the implementation and support phases.
- Provide customer and peer training
- Deliver final customer system documentation
- Support Live system upgrades
Position is based in Chicagoland area. Requires travel to customer and installation locations within the Chicago area.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BSEE/BSCE preferred)
- 3-5 years of Network Engineering, System Engineering or Wireless Communications experience
- Experience deploying outdoor Point-to-Point and Point-to-Multi-Point wireless solutions, preferably with Cambium networks.
- Strong organization, project management and communication skills
- Experience, good understanding, and working knowledge in IP networking, network design methodologies & troubleshooting (Ethernet, TCP/IP, L2/L3, MPLS)
- Experience/knowledge in radio communication systems, radio propagation, RF, wireless or broadband/LTE
- Certifications through CompTIA Network+, Juniper JNCIA-Junos, Nokia NRS1, CCNA or similar
- Experience directly working with end-user customers is desirable
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to present complex topics to non technical audiences.
- Self motivated and able to maintain focus in a pressured environment
- Troubleshoot/monitor network performance and resolve performance and connectivity issues
- Experience with switching and routing protocols (OSPF, ISIS, iBGP, eBGP, M-BGP, MPLS RSVP-TE, and LDP)
- Experience/knowledge in RF System Design (line of sight microwave propagation)
- Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. Motorola Solutions will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities upon request.
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. Motorola Solutions will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities upon request.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years of Video System Integration, Network Engineering, System Engineering or Wireless Communications Experience
Travel RequirementsUnder 25%
Referral Payment PlanYes
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.