Technical Chief of Staff at Affirm (Remote)
The Technical Chief of Staff is a partner to the President of Technology in defining large scale technical programs and ensuring they are executed smoothly. You will help turn ideas into strategy and execution, working across the entire team (and cross functionally) to ensure that the technical vision and key priorities are understood clearly and are moving forward effectively.
With growing context and a clear understanding of Affirm's mission, business variables, strategy, and goals, you will document and track decisions and commitments, and help ensure timely delivery and excellence, while helping teams navigate their priorities in our rapidly changing environment. You will continuously collect, digest, and update the President on key metrics, projects, deliverables, and progress indicators to help understand performance and efficiency of our teams.
What you'll be doing:
- Drive large scale cross function programs from strategic planning and goals setting, through roadmap building, to execution and delivery.
- Develop Engineering goals and objectives to define technical programs that enable delivery of a high quality scalable product in a timely manner.
- Partner with Product Management and Business Operations to ensure appropriate levels of investment across all strategic goals and that roadmaps accurately reflect those decisions.
- Communicate engineering team and program status to ensure that our organization is aligned on complex program execution
- Anticipate and quickly remove or highlight obstacles that negatively impact delivery on program objectives
- Provide executive leadership with visibility into program status and technical metrics, including productivity, resource utilization, headcount allocation, reliability, and performance of our service and teams.
- Track record of delivering highly reliable and scalable complex systems
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering and technical program management
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or a related technical field
- Advanced knowledge of the full product development life-cycle
- Experience in product development planning
- Experience managing complex engineering programs
- Ability to evaluate product performance metrics, as well as diagnose and resolve issues
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent technical and non-technical stakeholder management skills
- Experience working in a highly cross functional environment
Location - Remote U.S.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company ! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act , the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here .
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role. Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways-not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that's why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report .
We also believe It's On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.