Notice: Due to the current circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, Kin Insurance has shifted to a remote workforce. While we hope to return to the office sometime soon, our priority is to maintain safe and healthy working conditions for our staff. For that reason, we will continue to operate, interview, and hire on a remote basis until further notice.
While this role will start remote, we will require this individual to be based in our Chicago office.
Kin Insurance exists to change home insurance from what it is to what it should be. We do this by applying data science and analytics to make decisions, automation to reduce redundancies and unnecessary costs, and innovative thinking to change the way customers interact with and get value from their home insurance provider. We do this because we wholeheartedly believe that customers deserve better from their insurance.
Currently four years old, Kin began with the notion that technology could improve our industry, so we started by researching the most important part of our business: the customer. After building our platform from the ground up, we launched the Kin Intern Insurance Network, a customer-owned carrier in Florida. By applying our vision for a data-driven, technology-forward insurance company, we are able to offer customers affordable insurance in a straightforward, simplified approach. In 2020, Kin is continuing to grow in Florida while expanding into other states.
While our approach to home insurance makes us a unique business, the people and culture at Kin are what make us special. We are problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and empathizers who care about one another and have a passion for creating positive change. We each bring a diverse array of experience to Kin that fuels a passion for learning and growth that we foster as a company.
So, what’s the role?
We are looking for an experienced Underwriter within the Property and Casualty space to join our small but growing team. Since we tackle insurance differently, we are looking for this individual to bring in their expertise and knowledge to the team but to help us continue to find more effective and efficient ways to get the job done.
You’ll work closely with our insurance product team as well as our operations team to create and enforce underwriting guidelines and ensure all needed teams have the necessary information to do their job well. You may find yourself assisting with updating and training on underwriting guidelines, working with leadership to lend your expertise to business decisions, or reviewing quotes and policies to make sure they meet our standards.
A day in the life could include:
- Review submissions of customer’s information to ensure underwriting adherence and system accuracy. Our system does a good job of gathering all the required information for a review and is able to underwrite many customers automatically but at times we’ll need your expertise
- Offer assistance to Agents in real time via messaging to handle cases that require a more in depth look
- Review inspections in a timely manner and identify all hazards with recommendations on how to correct the adverse conditions
- Review renewal business to ensure standards make the renewal process seamless to the client
- Dig into the data, create new reports and analyses in order to find opportunities to improve the logic of our automated system
- Find and implement process improvements to make our underwriting and inspections more automated and efficient
- Creating or update underwriting documents and templates to maintain standard underwriting protocol
- Communicate underwriting decisions with agents, and help continue to build the collective insurance knowledge base
- Collaborate with the insurance team to develop new ways to evaluate risk and identify ways to improve customer workflows and automation
I’ve got the skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 3 years + Personal Lines work experience in underwriting or operations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and critical thinking
- Analytical minded and data-driven
- Strong communication and persuasion skills
- Clear and concise communication evidencing logical thinking - you’re comfortable being challenged and engaging in professional debate
- Understanding carrier guidelines and managing underwriting relationships from an agency perspective
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Being in the insurance industry we recognize the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. That’s why we provide a variety of options and coverage levels to customize a plan that’s right for you. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Commuter benefit plans
Flex spending accounts
Paid Parental Leave
Onsite gym membership - after we return to the office
Read Full Job Description