Associate Product Manager, Vendor Management
The Group: Morningstar Commodity Data, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Morningstar, Inc. and serves clients in the commodity and energy space. We aggregate data from 300 different data providers (“vendors”) and incorporate the data into various analytical tools for our clients. Data is the core of our business, and with so much of our data coming from third-party vendors, we need to pay special attention to the proper administration, entitlement, and reporting on data access.
The Role: The role of Associate Product Manager focuses on making sure our data vendors are happy, informed, and confident that their intellectual property is handled properly. The role also focuses on communication with vendors and with our client team on day-to-day issues with clarity, tact, and discretion. Finally, the Associate Product Manager serves as a point of contact for our data operations team and he or she the opportunity to lead process improvements and define requirements for software development as it relates to helping build tools that make the job more efficient. This role is based in our Chicago office and reports to the Director of Data Products.
• Point of contact for questions and escalations re: data availability
• Collaborate with internal teams on clients’ data access requests
• Produce, check, disseminate, and explain data access reports to our vendors
• Specify enhancements required from the software and data teams re: the automation, extension, and general improvement of our entitlement reporting capabilities
• Periodically audit royalties paid and received by cross-checking sales, finance, vendor contracts, and data access records
• Create and maintain documentation as needed within Salesforce and the internal Wiki
• Assist in compliance related projects
• Route potential technical vendor change requests to the right people for review
• Complete annual ISO digital certification renewals and work with Data Ops to implement
• Familiarity with data a must, with financial or commodity / energy data a plus
• Organized, with attention to detail, enjoys tracking down issues and solving problems
• Ability to anticipate questions and misunderstanding before communicating complex concepts
• Track record of dealing with suppliers or clients
• Proven ability to articulate business requirements to technical teams
• Fluent in English
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• 2-3 years of work experience
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.