Development Manager at Peapod Digital Labs
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Browse The Aisles
The primary purpose of this position is to deliver a great consumer experience online through the development, usability, quality and maintenance of the mission critical PDL eCommerce core platform. The role will encompass software design and engineering of customer facing website channels, third party APIs, content management, product catalogs, promotion/coupons and personalization engines, the eCommerce database model, as well as performance and usability web analytics. This role will lead a close-knit team developing and delivering technology solutions via projects; ensuring the competitiveness of the eCommerce core platform in terms of application functionality, integration, information, infrastructure, security and service operations. This role will work closely with Product team facing colleagues to ensure that core platform backlog exceeds customer expectations.
Recipe for Success - What's “in store” for the role
- Develops, manages and implements consumer-facing e-commerce features requested by the business
- Joint development responsibility for eCommerce platform feature requests
- Awareness of, and ensures adherence to, policy, tooling and architecture standards (as defined by the Production Change Automation and Governance team)
- Continuously knowledgeable about competitive and industry best practices, technologies and features.
- Passionate to stay ahead of the competition in features, functionality, usability (UI/UX) and application performance
- Manages a highly skilled development team specializing in scalable eCommerce solutions
- Responsible for the design and implementation of new features including functional, technical documents and coding for customer facing API’s. Define software solutions that are robust, scalable, maintainable, and innovative
- Project manage through Scrum Agile development methodologies (SAFe)
- Collaborate with the Agile Transformation Process Office to adhere to best practice and standards for software development efforts within the company
- Collaborate (with the Platform Engineering function) and define requirements around Development Operations and Infrastructure needs
- Lead designs around robust and flexible data models
- Interface with solution teams to coordinate the implementation of new solutions and changes onto the Core Services platform
- Work with IT counterparts to develop features cross functionally, e.g. mobile
- Be a subject matter expert for the eCommerce core systems supporting Ahold Delhaize’s strategic eCommerce business
The Essentials In Your Cart - The required ingredients
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent work-related experience.
- 5+ years’ experience building large scale consumer-facing applications or web e-commerce solutions
- 2+ years successfully managing and leading an infrastructure engineering team with production responsibilities
- 3+ years of implementation and operations experience with production systems in public cloud environments, such as AWS, Azure or Google Cloud
Extra Spices - What you should bring to the table
Excellent understanding of eCommerce based SDLC
Strong Technical Aptitude to gain the respect of experienced, talented software developers
Strong understanding of Azure based eCommerce operations
Good interpersonal skills; with some presentation experience to internal groups
Proven track record in working collaboratively across functional areas to drive results
Extensive experience in Scrum Agile development methodology and practice, ideally SAFe
Experience using Java/Groovy/Kotlin
Experience building real time order management and reservation systems
Experience building Search Engines
Experience with SQL, NoSQL, and Postgres Databases that are built with flexible and robust data models
Experience developing scalable consumer-facing SaaS software using modern technologies (Kubernetes, Saltstack, gRPC, REST web services, and GraphQL)
Understanding of Development Operations and Immutable infrastructure
Knowledge of Distributed Technologies (Elasticsearch/Hazelcast/Etc)
Knowledge in providing zero downtime software components
Knowledge of multi region Azure operations
Understanding of how UX & technical designs can be translated into software solutions
Background in Domain specific languages and Rule Engines
Background in Microservice Architecture
Background in building eCommerce systems/engines would be an advantage
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Requisition: 6540_external_IL-Chicago