Director, Coding and Risk Capture
At VillageMD, we are committed to helping patients achieve greater health by delivering the most effective, accessible and efficient healthcare in the world through partnership with primary care physicians. We're in a unique position to impact everyone in primary care from independent, family-owned practices to world-class health systems. As part of achieving this goal, the Director of Coding and Risk Capture will be a service-minded, subject matter expert providing hands-on market support to drive best practice coding and risk capture performance across the enterprise. Using a results-oriented approach, you’ll support our market performance to ensure accurate and persistent diagnosis code capture.
Integral to our Product Development team, the Director of Coding and Risk Capture will provide education and coaching for providers and help to implement shared best practices and tools that improve enterprise knowledge and execution in these critical areas of our operation. You’ll need to demonstrate a track record of forging meaningful relationships with primary care providers and have the ability to distill technical expertise to actionable tactics across our market provider partners. As a new member of our team, you’ll initially be responsible for owning the organizational methodology for coding and risk capture to drive market execution.
What are some examples of projects you will be leading as Director of Coding and Risk Capture at VillageMD?
- Performing documentation and coding education for market providers and their teams
- Completing chart audits and providing education for market providers
- Keeping current of regulatory and compliance changes and CMS requirements impacting risk adjustment
- Advancing best practices, consistency and standard approaches to meet ongoing market needs
What will make you successful here?
- You have a strong work ethic that lends to building successful partnerships with diverse stakeholder groups
- You are accomplished at distilling complex, technical information to stakeholders at an operational level to effect change
- You have managed matrixed relationships and service line performance to P&L owners
- Experience performing under pressure with a strong sense of urgency, attention to detail, and a commitment to doing what you say you will do
- You have a passion for being hands-on in problem-solving and execution
What you might do in your first year:
- Develop an education and training program for local market operating teams and provider partners
- Review risk capture reporting and chart abstracting to identify trends across markets
- Partner with our Technology team on tool development on VMD applications and within legacy EMRs, and coding and risk capture technology requirements and support
What you bring to VillageMD:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 5 + years of coding experience, and coding certification from AAPC or AHIMA
- Strong understanding of risk adjustment and risk stratification
- Proven leadership experience including program development and implementation and identifying and deploying cross-organization best practices in coding and risk capture
- You’ve previously built teams from the ground up and have a strong interest in mentoring talent
- You are skilled at partnering with physicians in education and coaching around best practices
- You have a keen focus on results, and can navigate within ambiguity while maintaining a high-level of humility
- This role can be based in any major metropolitan area in the Midwest or East Coast with a preference to one of VillageMD's current markets; 60% travel is required
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.