Director Digital Payment Technology Product Operations
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Discover is more than a credit card. At its core, Discover is a software company. Our customers and Partners demand products/services that help them spend smarter and achieve a brighter financial future. These products/services are built and supported by our software teams. We have fun at work and live these values:
- One customer. The person using the product is who matters.
- Teams get it done. You won’t be sitting in a corner on your own – it’s a collective effort.
- Seek to understand. Listen first, ask why, and then reach a conclusion.
- Progress over perfection. Try new ideas and be comfortable with failing fast.
- No spectators. Expect to tackle tough problems and to challenge the status quo.
We are looking for a Director Digital Payment Technology Operations to join our team in either Chicago, IL, Riverwoods, IL or Phoenix, AZ.
WHAT AREA YOU WILL FOCUS ON
As part of Discover Business Technology (BT), you will be an influencing member of the Senior Leadership team for the Discover Digital Exchange (DDX) platform. DDX is a scalable platform that enables seamless digital payment experiences such as ApplePay, GooglePay, SamsungPay and FitPay. Our vision is to support all available secure payment solutions that exist today and be prepared for those that are yet to come. This position puts you right in front of the hottest area in the Payment industry and face-to-face with the largest brands enabling the consumer payment evolution. What a career opportunity and that’s not recruiting fluff!!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Directly manage, ensure the direction management of, and provide empowering technical leadership support to a team of cross-discipline, geographically diverse Technology professionals chartered to achieve the 24x7x365 operation of Discover Digital Exchange (DDX) platform. This covers all technology domains that are utilized to achieve the run-time of the DDX platform.
- Translate vision into effective strategies and well-developed goals/plans that will drive operational excellence while also balancing the need for competitive advantage (velocity vs. availability).
- Achieve the development and implementation of operational requirements and aligned metrics relating to the production utilization and performance of the DDX platform.
- Influentially partner with key internal and external stakeholders/vendors/partners, to convince them that your vision and plans will achieve, if not exceed, the operational requirements/expectations of the DDX platform.
- Ensure technology operational standards and procedures (manual or automated) are aligned to achieve the availability, performance and compliance requirements of the platform. This would cover Incident Handling/Reporting, Release Planning, Change Management and Cybersecurity/Audit Programs.
- Achieve alignment and ensure direct participation of the Technology Operations team within the Product definition and execution cycles of the Agile Release Train and any other internal or external influencing party that is involved in the run-time aspect of the DDX platform.
- Oversee contract and vendor relationship management responsibilities for software/services directly secured for the DDX platform.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes
- Oversee the planning and tracking of financial/budget activities
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- 7+ years of direct technology operations management experience involving a product/service requiring high availability in either a B2C or B2B environment. (A fast-paced environment)
- 3+ years’ experience with the management (contractor and relationship) of external vendors/partners.
- Experience with the technology skills listed on our stackoverflow site for Discover.
- Strong leadership, influencing, and relationship skills with a proven track record at all levels within an organization and a role model to others for owning the outcome.
- Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to present, discuss, and explain issues coherently and logically both in writing and verbally to all levels of an Organization (internally and externally). A critical skill and one that you feel is one of your best. We want you to be successful and this role needs this particular skillset to be at the high-end of the scale.
- A true self-starter with self-determined decision-making ability so he/she can quickly and independently assesse situations or opportunities and become a trusted and integral part of the senior leadership team.
- Detail oriented, outgoing, can balance conflicting and changing demands through prioritization and a pragmatic approach working with all levels of corporate personnel
- Demonstrated ability to engage senior business leaders in establishing ownership/accountability, securing funding and committing resources to achieve a desired outcome.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours to support on call escalation issues to provide 24X7 service availability
- Ability to travel, domestically and internationally, up to 20% of the year. The core purpose of the travel is to allow you to build and grow relationships critical to this role.
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE THAT WOULD REALLY INTRIGUE US
- Experience working for or in a significant leadership or influencing role facing Apple.
- Experience in the Financial Services/Payments domain
- Experience in the implementation of ApplePay
- Career journey that includes roles specifically within software delivery (development, testing, architecture)
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!