Director of Product, Data Ingestion
What You’ll Do:
The Director of Product, Platform Data Ingestion is broadly responsible for ensuring that our development activities align with and support the company's overarching business strategy and are consistently aimed at discovering and delivering product evolutions that are valuable, usable and feasible. The successful candidate will lead a team of several product managers, each attached to a specific IoT platform capability.
Your team will be expected to grow the value and utility of their products in a dynamic, fast-moving IoT platform marketplace, with their success governed and measured by product-specific KPIs. To succeed in this role, you must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision, and the personal drive and charisma to make that vision a reality, largely through the work of others.
This is a key strategic leadership role so expectations are high and outstanding presence and communications skills are a must.
In this role you will:
- Lead, coach, mentor and develop a team of product managers, each responsible for discovering and executing product roadmaps that drive the business
- Own the IoT Platform Data Ingestion strategy and roadmapping
- Own and maintain product positioning of Uptake’s IoT Platform Data Ingestion product by understanding the strengths and weaknesses of current and potential competitors
- Own and maintain product market requirements for the IoT Platform Data Ingestion product
- Monitor and incorporate industry innovations into the IoT Platform Data Ingestion product
- Own and maintain the IoT Platform Data Ingestion product roadmap and represent the roadmap internally and externally
- Understand data science strategy and how data science is incorporated into a IoT platform
- Provide business and technical understanding of the IoT platform
- Provide business and technical understanding of IoT microservices
- Work with business stakeholders to ensure business value is translated effectively
- Manage user stories, prioritization, and roadmap
- Clearly understand and articulate the value of the underlying features and products within the IoT Platform product portfolio
- Work with development managers and coaches to ensure engineering teams are positioned for success
- Share ownership of the holistic view of our product portfolio; ensuring that our products work in concert and are appropriately balanced against the needs of multiple customer types and stakeholders.
- Partner with cross-functional leaders to refine practices, resolve conflicts, set policy and remove impediments for product development teams.
- Partner with User Experience and Engineering leads on research and discovery practices that allow for rapid concept testing to ensure we deploy production-develop capabilities against proven product ideas.
- Assist product managers with the creation of clear and measurable KPIs, goals and objectives, each related to the creation and enhancement of timely, high-quality products that support critical business objectives and multiple stakeholders.
- Assist direct reports with ongoing prioritization and resource allocation to ensure that KPIs are effectively delivered.
- Promote awareness of product teams’ plans, insights and accomplishments though scorecards and other activities in order to facilitate cooperation across departments and to build a highly performing, highly motivated team.
- Participate with management team on strategy, budgeting and capacity planning.
- Create and foster career development and growth paths for team members in alignment with company, product and personal objectives.
- 5+ years product management experience.
- 8+ years working with big data technologies such as Apache Kafka, Apache NIFI, Apache Spark, Hortonworks, Cloudera and Splunk
- Experience with data storage technologies such as Hadoop, Elastic Search, Cassandra
- 5+ years of data driven storytelling experience, working with data to deliver actionable insights and recommendations.
- Experience in product strategy and roadmapping.
- Working knowledge of IoT platforms.
- Working knowledge of platform architecture.
- Working knowledge of platform microservices.
- Working knowledge of microservice architecture.
- Working knowledge of data science.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and judgment.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills.
- Commitment to rapid discovery of minimum viable products, and to iterative testing cycles to sort out the most lucrative ideas and continually improve them.
- Excellent communications skills with an innate ability to empathize with and relate to stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Quantitative degree required: Stats, Math, Physics, IE, ME, Computer Science.
Nice To Have
- 4+ years experience as a technical product manager, platform architect or software engineering manager working very closely with software engineers, hardware engineers, data scientists and enterprise software products.
- Experience building applications using microservice.
- Experience architecting microservices.
Why Work Here?
We build and deliver, then explore to build more. Curiosity and flexibility enable everything we do, and we get stronger as we make each new industry smarter. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs and experiences to solve problems no one has yet to solve, at a speed no one has yet to experience. We support and challenge one another to bring out a new best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way.