Director of Product Management, Market Monitoring at Morningstar
The Morningstar Data Team delivers market data from more than 250 global data sources across a full range of financial asset classes. We supply this data both internally (to other Morningstar businesses) and externally to clients, supporting the need for accurate, fast, reliable market information in a variety of formats and time intervals. As well as real-time delivery, a large amount of tick-by-tick historical data, corporate actions, reference data and other asset specific content is stored and made available to customers.
Morningstar’s Market Monitoring solution is a nascent product line with large ambitions to displace incumbent providers and exponentially grow from both a seats and revenue perspective. As Director, you will be accountable for all aspects of our Market Monitoring solution and business (in the Americas) from product specifications, go-to-market planning and execution, resource and budget ownership and service and operations. Some of these aspects will function as direct line reports, others will be matrixed. This is a role that will require cross-functional interaction skills and the ability to successfully operate in a matrixed organization.
As the business owner, the Director will be required to operate at a strategic level, understanding the key Market Monitoring industry trends, competitive landscape and best practices – assisting the data leadership group in forming our long-term strategy. The go-to-market for Market Monitoring is expected to be very high touch and involve a lot of direct client marketing. The ideal candidate will be cable of not only building great products, but also able to communicate our value proposition of our offering digitally, to technical clients and ultimately in the board room.
This role will report to the Global Head of Data and Research Products and will also be part of the overall leadership team. This position may be located in our Chicago or Toronto offices.
- Maintain excellent knowledge of Market Data industry trends and best practice – providing relevant intelligence that will drive the Market Monitoring roadmap.
- Develop and drive go to market planning to identify how the solution is positioned in the marketplace ensuring low friction access to potential clients in order to identify high quality potential leads.
- Work closely with Product Marketing to develop and maintain a thoughtful set of marketing materials that illustrates the strength of the offering, the value proposition and the differentiation versus the competition.
- In partnership with sales, drive and deliver on RFPs and other sizeable engagement opportunities helping align resources and leadership to deliver client wins.
- Create and own the product pricing rate card for North America and provides suggestions for multi-rate opportunities; partners with Client Solutions/Deal Desk and other Market Data product managers to develop pricing guidelines.
- Ensure our product specifications capabilities remain at the cutting of technology and industry standards.
- Create, develop and sponsor new IP from Morningstar that will drive competitively advantaged product differentiation between our offering and that of our competitors.
- Develop and own the definition of the overall strategy for Market Monitoring for North America, including but not limited to owning the annual budget and forecasting processes and working closely with the sales specialist to develop the market and creating prospecting lists.
- Maximize alignment with other Morningstar divisions where similarities exist, and benefits can be realized.
- Wealth/Finance related product management experience (7+ years).
- Specific Market Data Terminal, Components and/or Monitoring experience (7+ years) a plus.
- Knowledge of Morningstar’s research and advisor facing software platforms a plus.
- Knowledge of Market Monitoring competitive landscape and solutions.
- Experience in owning budgeting and forecasting for a product or service.
- Demonstrated communication skills and success in positioning complex integrated solutions to clients.
- Proven ability to gain consensus and execute against strategy.
- Experience working in a Product Management role with a focus on market development.
- Highly service focused with experience working with globally distributed teams, stakeholders and customers.
- Strong planning skills with track record of executing large complex problems.
- Experience working at all levels within an organisation including Senior Management stakeholders.
- Pro-active, flexible, always remaining calm with ability to work in a demanding environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A sense of ownership, initiative and drive.
- Bachelor's degree.