Director of Product at SMS Assist
SMS Assist’s vision is to make every property better. We serve more than 186,000 commercial and residential properties nationwide. We connect property owners in industries like retail and restaurant with a dense affiliate network that specializes in more than 45 trades like landscaping, plumbing, HVAC, and more. Our customer service organization leverages our proprietary One by SMS Assist cloud platform to process thousands of work orders on a daily basis.
Every day we strive to provide the best service to our customers through an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for service, teamwork, and integrity. We offer a game room, fitness center, bike garage, SMS Serves philanthropy program, company events, a fun location along Chicago’s Magnificent Mile, and more. SMS Assist is a Moxie Awards winner, Chicago Innovation Awards winner, a Top 100 Digital Company in Chicago and has been named to the Forbes Cloud 100 list for all four years of its existence! The list ranks the top 100 private cloud companies across four factors: market leadership, estimated valuation, operating metrics, and culture.
The Director of Product Management is responsible for developing and executing SMS Assist’s product strategy in the service of our commercial and residential business units. This leader will help build a learning technology platform that makes every work order better than the last and SMS Assist the industry’s path of least resistance for multi-site property maintenance. This role is responsible for collaborating with a cross-functional team of engineers, designers and business stakeholders to prioritize and deliver software that streamlines work processes. The Director will enable SMS Assist, their partners and their customers to drive quantifiable performance and efficiency improvements in their property management operations. This role will also be responsible for contributing to SMS Assist’s Corporate and Product Strategy and ensuring continued alignment between the product roadmaps, the company’s business objectives and the needs of the respective business units. The Director of Product Management will report to the Chief Product Officer.
- Proven ability to simultaneously lead multiple cross-functional teams in iterative and incremental discovery of end user requirements in a dual track scrum operating model
- Deliver value across a portion of the SMS Assist product portfolio acting either as an individual contributor or a supervisor of other Product Managers
- Collaborate across the product organization to deliver value to our commercial and residential customers
- Directly facilitate solution design sessions involving senior executive representatives from our customers or customer-prospects
- Excellent ability to manage multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization, including C-level, in both technical and business terms
- Ability to identify stakeholders, build relationships, and influence others to get work done
- Prioritizing all of the above to ensure the most urgent and valuable work is getting done first
- Experience in corporate and/or customer support operations
- Travel requirements: less than 30%
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
- Customer Service – Expert
- Verbal Communication – Expert
- Written Communication – Expert
- Teamwork – Expert
- Relationships – Expert
- Organizational Awareness – Expert
- Learning Agility – Expert
- Analysis – Advanced
- Problem Solving – Expert
- Process Orientation – Advanced
- Prioritization – Expert
Role Specific Skills
- Apply systems-thinking to guide multiple scrum teams to act in concert in delivering complex value while minimizing cost and risk
- Build a prioritized backlog of capabilities that meet both internal and external customer needs
- Collaborate with key business partners and stakeholders to discover their true requirements and articulate in well-written user stories
- Create product roadmaps that represent the highest and best use of resources over time
- Work with software engineering, operations personnel, and other product managers to ensure on-time delivery of product software features
- Define and continually analyze KPIs that inform a product’s success in achieving its business purpose
- Evolve product strategy based on market and competitive research, internal operations data analysis, and industry trends
- Collaborate with C-Level executives in humble confidence
- Strong systems-thinking skills
- Strong communication skills—able to make the complex simple; can describe technical matters in terms of business implications and quickly translate business needs into technical requirements; is known to be a great listener
People Management Skills
- Advanced proficiency in all people management processes, including recruitment, performance management and reward
- Advanced proficiency in building, growing and developing a team; including department structure design and resourcing
- Advanced proficiency in coaching and developing individual team members to reach their potential
- Proficient in engaging multiple teams through communication, processes, personal impact and influence
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related disciplines
- MBA or equivalent
- 10+ years of experience in hardware or software product development, business analytics, strategy or equivalent professional background
- 5+ years of experience in product management
- Scrum Alliance Certified Product Owner or ScrumMaster preferred
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.