We're looking for someone to help us build the state management group at Root, with a focus on our Florida business. The right candidate will blend years of experience in the industry with curiosity to modernize the work of a state manager.
One of the things that sets Root apart is our operational speed and technology; we plan to build the state management function as a lean group that defaults to building technical solutions to the problems they face rather than introducing clunky processes.
The role of State Product Manager is to use input from folks in Legal, Pricing, Data Science, Product, and Finance to guide our insurance product and pricing strategy for each state in order to meet Root's P&L goals.
- Lead P&L for Florida and other assigned states
- Report P&L and general performance of state portfolio to internal stakeholders
- Engage with the Departments of Insurance within assigned portfolio as necessary
- Lead decision making with input from stakeholders to prioritize product and pricing changes across portfolio
- Establish subject matter expertise for all assigned states, including coverage, rule, and rate structure
- Coordinate with Data Science, Product, and Engineering teams to build/enhance technical solutions that make work more scalable and effective
- Leverage market research, industry trends, and competitive intelligence to drive product enhancements
- Advocate for customer-centric solutions
- 12+ years P&C insurance experience, with 6+ years in a State or Product Manager role
- Strong expertise in insurance economics
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in product entry strategies, product designs, and growing revenue
- Ability to adapt quickly to a start-up pace environment and culture
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us