Principal Cloud Data Product Owner
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Discover. A more rewarding way to work. At Discover Financial Services, you ‘ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals and at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth, with attention to work life balance. Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other.
Ready to be a part of our fast growing and innovative Enterprise Technology organization?
We are seeking a strong technical product owner and team lead for a group of engineers/architects that are implementing our next generation of data engineering tools and systems. The products you own are enabling our company’s data engineers to perform cloud native work easily and efficiently. You will work across many different cloud services and technologies primarily on AWS and soon other cloud platforms. You will work with your team of engineers, end users of your products, and management to determine and prioritize new features to your products. You will own the roadmaps and drive your team’s implementations of product features.
This role is both a leadership and technical position where you will lead and influence technical designs, coordinate collaborations with 3 rd party vendors, and have the ability to perform engineering work yourself if you choose. Your team will work in technologies such as Spark(python/scala), Kinesis, Kafka, EMR, MPP Databases (Snowflake & Redshift), NoSQL DBs, and other various AWS services (Lambda, Glue, Step Functions..)
Some of the team’s efforts include providing frameworks for Real-time data pipelines for analytical use, API Data Ingestion tooling, Graph Database data frameworks, and batch on-prem to cloud data movements(AWS and multi-cloud architectures).
The Enterprise Technology organization is delivering a next-gen analytic ecosystem through new tools, frameworks and data enablement products on the cloud. The Cloud Data Enablement team plays a critical role in creating these tools via in house development, evaluating open-source frameworks, and third party solutions. As such, you will need to be able to demonstrate the technical aptitude to learn new technologies as you will be working in a rapidly evolving landscape delivering transformative products.
- Works with a dedicated Agile development team to deliver complex customer/business value through product features. Is the conduit to other business partners for this team.
- Provides periodic status updates to business stakeholders and upper management. Is the point of contact for the Agile team with the business and SMEs.
- Empowered to make all critical decisions regarding functionality and priority in the Sprint. Signs off to “accept” each user story during sprint.
- Manages and prioritizes the sprint backlogs continually with team input (prior to and during the backlog grooming sessions).
- Collaborates with other Product Owners and/or Product Manager to uphold business priority and vision.
- Develops complex user stories from prioritized features in collaboration with Product Manager.
- Champions efforts to attain product vision and objectives. Writes acceptance criteria for user stories. Ensures that user stories all meet Definition of Ready (DoR) and are updated in the Agile Management Tool.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Technology, Finance, Engineering, or related field
- 4+ years of experience as Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience as Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- At least 2 years’ experience leading engineering teams
- BS in Computer Science / related field or equivalent experience (MS preferred)
- Hands on experience with AWS services such as Glue, EMR, Lambda, Step Functions, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, DynamoDB, SNS, SQS, S3, VPC, EC2, RDS, IAM
- Snowflake MPP database experience a plus
- Graph database experience a plus
- Hands-on experience integrating open source components into data-analytic solutions
- Working with vendors to enhance tool capabilities to meet enterprise needs
- Knowledge of application development lifecycles, & continuous integration/deployment practices
- Proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Java, Scala, Java)
- Experience in version control systems such as Git.
- Experience in ETL / Data application development
- Experience working with Spark and real-time analytic frameworks
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!