Product Development and Innovation Lead
The Catch Company is the first and largest digitally native vertical brand in the fishing industry. We believe the unknown is best explored together and we’re creating a community of discoverers through our digital content, innovative products, e-commerce experience and with Mystery Tackle Box, our flagship monthly subscription service focused on fishing tackle. Through these offerings, we excite, challenge, and delight our customers, while helping them discover new products and techniques, save money and explore the outdoors together.
Our approach is built on 4 pillars:
1. Digital first
2. Brand matters (a lot)
3. Go vertical (we make many of the products we feature)
4. Data, data, data
We are entering an exciting period of growth and we are looking for exceptionally talented people to help bring our vision to life. In addition to being talented, our team members are honest, curious, take action and always seek to leave things better than they found them. If that sounds like you, we would love to meet you.
Our vision is to design and build revolutionary products to market and sell through both our Direct-to-Customer channels and more broadly across other outdoor channels. We are looking for a product development and innovation leader to build on that vision, fill out the portfolio of our owned brands, and identify new product opportunities and categories. Our goal is to be a national leader in innovative products for fishing and other outdoor categories and this role will be the primary driver of this strategy. In the near term, we are focused on growing our portfolio of private label fishing brands, especially fishing lures, fishing tackle, rods, reels and line. The position will also work closely with branding to support the development of new brands, and with our marketing team to support product launch efforts.
What you will do:
- Lead all aspects of the product development process (ideation, concept, design, prototype, test, launch)
- Manage the product development pipeline
- Identify new product opportunities by examining current market and customer trends to make recommendations for high value product launches
- Identify new technologies for product manufacturing
- Identify new product concepts (Work with product designers to develop new concepts and designs, work to identify licensing opportunities for existing brands and products in the marketplace, identify opportunities for white labelling, identify opportunities for licensing)
- Lead process to select product concepts to move forward on, including a framework for deciding where to dedicate resources
- Lead process for taking products from concept to a 3d design, generating prototypes, testing products, and refining product designs
- Support product sourcing team for ramping up new products to full scale manufacturing
- Support various strategic initiatives related to new product development process
- Work closely with creative parties to develop new brands and new brand launches
What makes this a special opportunity:
- We are a dynamic early-stage startup with tons of momentum (ranked #435 on the 2017 Inc. 500 list of the fastest growing private companies)
- We are a small team, so you will have significant key responsibilities, opportunities for professional growth, and the chance to help continue to build a great company
- You will work with and learn from experienced leaders who have a track record of building successful companies
- We place a premium on building a great culture made up of great people
What will make you successful:
- Curiosity: Always seeking to understand “why”. Always looking to make things better.
- Passion: You are driven by a love for what you do
- Optimism: The ability to bounce back quickly when something doesn’t work
- Action: Knowing when to shift from planning to doing
- Honesty: Transparency with customers, partners and teammates. Strong professional ethics and integrity
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Creativity, flexibility and ability to juggle multiple projects across different stakeholders
- Interest/experience in fishing strongly preferred
- 5-10 years of experience in Product Management, Product Development, Innovation or R&D
- Experience in developing products with different manufacturing technologies, especially plastics and discrete assembly
- Four-year college degree preferred, ideally in engineering, industrial design, or marketing
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word
- Use of 3D CAD preferred
- Excellent listening, verbal, written and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail in managing multiple priorities
- Competitive Medical Dental and Vision insurance.
- Ability to work from home if there is a need.
- Flexible working hours.
- "Take what you need" vacation policy.