Product Manager, Financial Planning Software
The Group: The Products group is the home of manufacturing and innovation at Morningstar. The individuals in this group transform our high-quality data, independent research, and technological expertise into well-designed products that delight our clients. The group’s product management, product development, and service teams collaborate with our Client Solutions group to help provide clients with relevant products and bundled solutions.
The Role: The Financial Planning Software products team is looking for an product manager to manage financial planning tool set for Morningstar. This role is critical to delivering innovative collaboration and proposal tools that enhance the experience between advisors and their clients. The capability vision should also inform the central services on portfolio analysis and financial planning. Product Managers design, develop, and manage activities for a specific product/component/service from conceptualization, definition, and planning through implementation, release, enhancement and eventual sun-setting – the product lifecycle. Product Managers act as both product experts and strategists to translate market trends, customer needs, competitive intelligence, and Morningstar intellectual property into innovative deliverables that solve customer problems, and evangelize those innovations internally and externally. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Own product strategy, roadmap, and product development lifecycle for financial planning software tools. Work with a cross-functional development squad to execute product roadmap.
• Translate vision into prioritized features and requirements refined and validated with customers.
• Oversee the rollout strategy of new enhancements/feature and feature retirement; coordinate with internal stakeholders globally including dependent teams in Software Products, Product Services, and Data Technology.
• Develops business requirements for implementation, prioritizes conflicting work, and works within an agile software development framework.
• Articulates and evangelizes the strength, quality, and value of the product, acting as a subject matter expert where necessary.
• Develop and track KPIs / measurements of product success (e.g. business success, customer satisfaction, quality, time to market, etc.).
• A bachelor’s degree is required.
• At least three years of relevant work experience. Prior product management experience, knowledge and experience with agile development, and strong technical acumen are all desired.
• Demonstrated domain knowledge in financial/investment data, analytics, and workplace communication.
• Ability to use client workflow knowledge to tell a story.
• Requires little direction and oversight.
• Ability to think strategically when it comes to understanding client requirements, problem solving, and project management skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication, technical, planning, and analytical skills.
• Strong customer-service and business growth focus for building product with purpose.
• Ability to motivate and grow a collaborative, cross-functional team with a track record for quality, on-time deliveries.