SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Product Manager II leads and collaborates with various local and overseas teams and stakeholders to deliver value to customers, affiliates and internal users through delivery of well-defined, appropriately-prioritized and human-centric product solutions.
• Lead cross-functional teams in iterative and incremental discovery of end user requirements in a dual track scrum operating model
• Deliver value to customers, affiliates and internal users through frequent, high-value deliveries of software product
• Create and prioritize unified product backlogs to ensure the most urgent and valuable work is getting done first
• Translate user requirements into actionable language for developers and designers to efficiently architect and deliver solutions
• Translate technical capabilities, constraints and impediments to business stakeholders in human terms
• Define, instrument, and analyze KPIs and metrics that inform the feature/product’s success and link to corporate initiatives
• Sell and market your product to executive decision makers and end users
• Identify stakeholders, build relationships, and influence others to get work done
• Collaborate with local & overseas development teams with a willingness to accommodate varying time zones
• Foster a positive team environment
• Ensure confidentiality of internal and external data
• Perform ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
• Travel requirements: Some travel required (<10%)
• Customer Service – Proficient
• Verbal Communication – Proficient
• Written Communication – Proficient
• Teamwork – Proficient
• Relationships – Proficient
• Organizational Awareness – Proficient
Learning Agility – Advanced
• Analysis – Advanced
• Problem Solving – Proficient
• Process Orientation – Advanced
• Prioritization – Proficient
Role Specific Skills
• Ability to collaborate with key business partners and stakeholders to discover and articulate requirements and user stories, manage and communicate the product roadmap, and deliver per customer contracts and/or requests with high quality and predictability
• Ability to collaborate with customers, software engineering, operations personnel, sales and other product managers to ensure on-time delivery of product software features that focus on creating data-driven actionable insights that optimize customer facilities maintenance spend and improve operational efficiency
• Ability to evolve product strategy based on property management data analysis, market and competitive research, and industry trends.
• Ability to drive improvements to our existing products and identify opportunities for new product ideas
• Strong systems-thinking skills for considering holistic implications of decisions, cause-and -effect, effective portfolio prioritization to support top-level business objectives
• Demonstrated emotional intelligence in support of mission of implementing transformational technology in a larger organization
• Strong communication skills—able to make the complex simple; can describe technology in terms of business implications and translate business needs into technical requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related disciplines
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
• 2 years of relevant experience in product management, software development or data analytics
Other Relevant Qualifications
• Knowledge of Agile Scrum methodologies; Dual track scrum knowledge a plus
• Scrum Alliance Certified Product Owner or ScrumMaster preferred
• Technical software development or data analytics experience preferred
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.