Product Manager at RedShelf
RedShelf, now #6 on Crain Chicago’s Fast50, is growing at a rapid pace and we’re expanding our Product Management team.
Founded in 2012, RedShelf was named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine. Awarded the title of 2021 Publishing Software of the Year, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable for students and increase learning effectiveness through its industry-leading digital platform. Partnering with more than 10,000 publishers and content providers along with more than 1,500 business and educational partners worldwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials via our best-in-class eReader and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortless distribution of course content and engagement solutions.
The role of Product Manager will work closely with their Product & Engineering peers, directors, and executive sponsors to deliver a best-in-class Publisher and University content acquisition framework in close partnership with a rock-star engineering team.
We are looking for a teammate who is resourceful, dedicated, and passionate about solving challenging problems and automating workflows. This role is for someone who loves diving into the details while also driving the overall strategy. We are looking for an outside-the-box thinker who can quickly identify market needs/ problems to solve and accelerate the team towards solving them. Our ideal colleague is a strategic thinker who is accustomed to rolling up their sleeves to help deliver best-in-class products and user experiences.
The ideal candidate will have at least 6-8 years of work experience including 5 years’ experience in an agile product management environment. The preferred candidate will have begun as an analyst evolving to a Product owner or product manager and be comfortable working in a fast-paced setting. To be successful in the role, this individual must be able to distill highly technical concepts into clear, concise business-oriented details and stories and be comfortable working directly with Client organizations and their delegates on a routine basis.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with existing and new partners to identify market needs, define product scope and advance market rollout of assigned product(s).
- Develop an expert-level understanding of digital content acquisition, delivery methods and processes including those used by University and Business partners as well as Content Publishers.
- Own various aspects of the product development lifecycle, including but not limited to, gathering and distilling product feature needs/requirements into Epics, Features & Stories for timely and consistent estimation.
- Develop an intimate knowledge of the RedShelf product data model, attribution hierarchy and nuance of Higher Education content delivery programs such as Inclusive Access.
- Aid leadership in quantifying the business value of feature development efforts (whether customer, operational, or strategic) related to RedShelf’s key business initiatives, and ultimately, the work our technology partners will execute on.
- Assist in shaping the customer experience (CX) of new features and functionality in partnership with members of the experience design group.
- Will work under the direction of a Director of Product to create a plan/vision for assigned product area and establish and maintain the product roadmap.
- Must be able to evangelize the value of assigned products and communicate the current/future roadmap to both internal and external audiences.
- Partners closely with the Director of Engineering and others to ensure alignment to the product objectives and clarity of delivery timelines that inform market delivery dates.
- Comfortable working in ambiguous conditions and able to act with precision and efficiency.
- Provide necessary Level 3 product support for applicable production capabilities.
- Owns the product / feature release communication, both internally and externally.
- Excellent communication, team building, planning, and organization skills.
- Excel at coordinating multiple projects/ development efforts at one time
- Ability to define and translate a vision into detailed and actionable plans
- Minimum of 6-8 years of experience in a fast-paced technology driven organization (preferably in a SaaS environment)
- 5+ years of experience working directly with Agile software development teams in a product management, analyst or product owner capacity
- At least 3 years in a formal product management role is desired.
- Keen ability to distill technical concepts into easily digestible forms for non-technical audiences.
- Strong understanding of relational data model concepts and the role of data attribution to drive highly engaging user experiences.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and excited to work on complex problems at scale.
- Motivated to delivery world-class user interaction and experience to drive end-user efficiency.
- Ability to work autonomously with a balanced team approach; you don't need to wait for direction but know when buy-in is critical.
- Ability to work remotely in a collaborative team structure to make an impact in a highly visible role.
- Strategic product experience within the Digital Commerce, EdTech, or Content Syndication markets is desired.
- The ability to drive consensus and alignment across stakeholders to solve complex technical and operational challenges
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, or Google-based equivalents.
- Familiarity with Atlassian products (Jira, Confluence), Figma, LucidChart or Monday are desirable.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical related field or equivalent experience
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Product Management Certification is highly preferred (e.g. 280 Group, Pragmatic Institute, or others)
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing or content publication/syndication.
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages including Health, Dental, Vision, 401k and tuition reimbursement programs.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.