The Group: The Products group is the home of manufacturing and innovation at Morningstar. The individuals in this group transform our high-quality data, independent research, and technological expertise into well-designed products that delight our users and help them accomplish important investing jobs. The Analytics Products Group collaborates with our research, quantitative research and data science teams to integrate their proprietary research, methodology and analytical work into Morningstar’s software products. The APG team works with large data sets which encompass hundreds of thousands of securities within a large breadth of asset classes including equities, commodities, fixed income, structured credit, and funds.
The Role: The Analytics Product Group is looking for an execution-focused Product Manager to join us to build out an emerging product – Morningstar Data Catalyst. Morningstar Data Catalyst provides a clear picture of the entire firm’s book of business and enables the home office to quickly identify branches, advisors and accounts that deviate from investment risk objectives.
Product managers act as both product experts and strategists to translate market trends, customer needs, competitive intelligence, and Morningstar intellectual property into innovative deliverables that solve customer problems and evangelize those innovations internally and externally. We are seeking an assertive, detail-oriented leader who is able to work directly and effectively in a highly collaborative, agile software development setting. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Taking the lead on transitioning the product from prototype to production level capability available as a stand-alone, within Direct Cloud, APIs and data feeds
• Contribute to product strategy, incorporating business objectives and user feedback
• Communicate long-term vision and short-term commitments to key internal stakeholders
• Research, write, create artifacts to communicate product strategies and roadmaps for use by squads, management, and key internal stakeholders.
• Develop business cases to create, evaluate and communicate product strategies.
• Collaborate with quantitative research team, MIM team, APC team, engineers, designers and user research to build out new functionality and analytics
• Define and communicate product level KPIs and goals.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required.
• At least three to four years of product management experience required. Knowledge and experience with Agile software development and technical acumen are key.
• Ability to communicate and commit to timelines for product delivery.
• Interest in and focus on building innovative software that users love.
• Strong problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment while delivering high-quality work.
• Excellent oral and written communication, technical, planning, and analytical skills.
• Self-directed and detail-oriented.
• Familiarity with Morningstar’s Risk Ecosystem and/or Direct Cloud software development process a plus
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.