Product Owner at Kin Insurance
Notice: Due to the current circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, Kin Insurance has shifted to a remote workforce. While we hope to return to the office sometime soon, our priority is to maintain safe and healthy working conditions for our staff. For that reason, we will continue to operate, interview, and hire on a remote basis until further notice.
While this role will start remote, we will require this individual to be based in our Chicago office with remote flexibility.
Kin Insurance exists to change home insurance from what it is to what it should be. We do this by applying data science and analytics to make decisions, automation to reduce redundancies and unnecessary costs, and innovative thinking to change the way customers interact with, and get value from their home insurance provider. We do this because we wholeheartedly believe that customers deserve better from their insurance.
Currently four years old, Kin began with the notion that technology could improve our industry, so we started by researching the most important part of our business: the customer. After building our platform from the ground up, we launched our own insurance carrier in Florida. By applying our vision for a data-driven, technology-forward insurance company, we are able to offer customers affordable insurance in a straightforward, simplified approach. In 2020, Kin is continuing to grow in Florida while expanding into other states.
While our approach to home insurance makes us a unique business, the people and culture at Kin are what make us special. We are problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and empathizers who care about one another and have a passion for creating positive change. We each bring a diverse array of experience to Kin that fuels a passion for learning and growth that we foster as a company.
So, what’s the role?
Kin’s Product team is the fulcrum that takes our vision of what home insurance should be and makes it real. Our product managers are responsible for the commercial success of the product. They straddle technology and all other business areas to ensure the right work is getting done. We are currently looking for multiple Product Owners to join our team and help us move smarter and faster. These people will work very closely with our engineering team, helping create, define and sequence projects to meet our aggressive outcome-driven and problem-focused roadmap.
A day in the life could include:
- Writing strong user stories that provide all of the details needed by our development teams to develop critical features
- Identifying problems to solve, gathering user research and input, and outlining proposed solutions in product briefs, supported with data
- Collaborating with design to create functional prototypes for user testing and mockups for developers
- Learning about new technologies and determining how they can be incorporated into Kin products
- Creating end-to-end testing plans with our QE team for new and existing features
- Planning ahead to ensure the team has an appropriate amount of work and fully understands sprint-level goals
- Working closely with Product Managers and Product Directors to understand, influence, and communicate the Product Roadmap and vision
- Leading team and stakeholder meetings
- Motivating the development team and connecting the team’s daily work with our bigger goals at Kin
I’ve got skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 2-3 years relevant product experience1-2 years of direct experience in a Product role
- Ability to turn incomplete, conflicting, or ambiguous inputs into concrete action plans
- Experience owning process management or process improvement projects
- An eye for great products and willingness to advocate for new features with qualitative and quantitative reasoning
- Ability to communicate with empathy and precision
- Ability to effectively communicate with engineers about technical features and product architecture
- A strong desire to learn about new technologies, new products, and improve the way things are done
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Being in the insurance industry we recognize the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. That’s why we provide a variety of options and coverage levels to customize a plan that’s right for you. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
- Commuter Benefit Plans
- Flexible PTO
- Flex Spending Accounts
- Parental Leave
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office