Product Taxonomist, Zoro
Location: Chicago or Buffalo Grove, IL
In the past seven years, Zoro has grown from a group of 6 people working out of a 2,000 square foot building, offering fewer than 100,000 products to a group of 275+ working out of a 60,000+ square foot building, offering more than 2,000,000 unique products.
As a Product Taxonomist you will have a unique opportunity to join a taxonomy team with a rapidly growing B2B e-commerce company. The taxonomists will be focused on finalizing a new master product taxonomy, and creating the information architecture strategy to support the site hierarchies. This will all be built within a new installation of a Product Information Management (PIM) platform. The Product Taxonomist will report to the team lead, the Senior Product Taxonomist.
- Participate in the development and evolution of the product taxonomy strategies to maintain a logical product hierarchy, search and marketing hierarchies, as well as the mapped relations between them.
- Support a vision for flexible hierarchies that will support fast-paced sku expansion and attribution.
- As a team, create and maintain processes and procedures to oversee tag management.
- Partner with Searchandising team to build and maintain a cohesive site navigation experience.
- Support a taxonomy strategy that refreshes site hierarchies, attribute types and content options to best support ever-improving search and conversion.
- Assist in the build out of collections and other sku groups to support merchandising and marketing needs.
- Collaborate on efforts to support customer experiences that adapt and reuse product content including architecture supporting personalization.
- Support the development and use of taxonomy management processes and tools as necessary.
- Maintain a team approach which effectively works cross-functionally to advocate solutions in support of merchandising, with a balanced approach to logical product hierarchies.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Architecture, Library Science, or related field.
- 2-4 years developing and managing product taxonomies.
- Experience building new taxonomies including hierarchical trees, attributes, other metadata, and the linkage to adjacent taxonomies.
- Established approach to product classification with a combination of hierarchy, attributes, and tags.
- Experience with varied product conditions, as well as architecture supporting site personalization.
- E-commerce taxonomy experience desired.
- Familiarity with Product Information Management (PIM) platforms.
- Cross-functional experience with remote teams.
- Experience in prioritizing among requests from multiple teams dependent on the same taxonomies.
- Knowledge of SEO product metadata management.
- A driven self-starter with a collaborative approach.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.