Senior Investment Product Analyst
The Group: The Investment Management group is a global team guided by Morningstar’s investment principles focused on delivering great long-term investment results to help end-investors reach their financial goals. Morningstar® Managed PortfoliosSM, our complete wealth management platform, offers a broad lineup of strategies built with stocks, mutual funds, and ETFs to help meet an investor’s needs at each stage of their lifetime.
We use our expertise in asset allocation, investment selection and portfolio construction to create valuation-driven investment strategies leveraging the full resources of Morningstar. The group specializes in multi-asset investing, using building blocks in equities, fixed income and alternative investments to construct robust portfolios. Through Morningstar Managed Portfolios, we serve financial advisers and institutions, and the investors that they serve.
The Role: In this role, you will work closely with the Investment Product Managers to support our existing suite of investment strategies and the services through which they are delivered, new product development and product sun-setting. You will provide in-depth analysis of current and prospective investment product offerings, competitive landscape and investor profiles as well as support new product development and research. Your output will not only reinforce our value proposition with our clients and prospects, but it will also provide our product management, sales, and marketing teams with information to foster growth in our business. The position is based in our Chicago office.
To successfully fulfill the role, the investment management product analyst role will provide substantial support for various governance committees and boards as well as conduct a lot of researching through sources such as public websites, industry databases, ADVs, and client contracts. The analyst will also be writing product positioning statements and RFP responses. Continual curiosity, desire to always find better, more efficient ways to do something, attention to detail, keeping to tight deadlines, and ability to work well under pressure are great qualities to have for this role.
• Support Investment Product Managers in gathering and analyzing data, creating, populating and maintaining ongoing competitor and industry intelligence data related to our investment strategies, consisting of multi-asset managed portfolios, equity model portfolios delivered via separately managed accounts, and multi-manager mutual funds.
• Updating team members with information on product positioning, performance attribution, market data, benchmark analysis and industry news
• Build and maintain an intimate level of knowledge on institutional and retail investment vehicles, providing regular feedback on competitive intelligence and product development opportunities.
• Conduct ongoing research and analyze competitor information in support of product positioning, market developments, portfolio performance.
• Proactively identify product marketing opportunities based on industry trends, current market environment and competitive advantages.
• Support Fund Board responsibilities and other committee duties related to product management
• Update and maintain accurate records of current product offerings and attributes.
• Collaborate with Marketing and other appropriate functional groups to create and maintain strong, consistent client materials.
• Help facilitate and execute on key product initiatives across business functions, including but not limited to, new product launches, sales campaigns.
• Support the learning & development for sales training initiatives
• Update / Monitor internal sources to ensure accuracy of product related information
• Minimum 2 years of work experience in mutual fund or ETF products at an asset management firm including investment product development/management experience.
• A solid understanding of asset allocation, investing and performance analytics concepts, familiarity of mutual funds, ETFs and separately managed accounts required
• Strong attention to detail, effective writing, presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently and resourcefully as well as collaborate with diverse, multi-functional teams
• Bachelor’s degree required
Please include a cover letter with your resume and application.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.