Senior Product Manager, Advice Engines at Morningstar
Morningstar brings people together with a singular goal in mind—to build software that users love. From individual investors to portfolio managers—we live to create transparency, always focused on bringing clarity to complexity and creating tools that support millions of investors in ways that excite, inform and create long-term success. Morningstar’s Workplace team puts employees on the path to financial freedom and security, leveraging our intellectual property to drive better financial and retirement outcomes for employees and design unique solutions that help solve our clients’ current and future problems.
We are looking for a passionate and talented Senior Product Manager to be at the nexus of this revolution by incorporating Morningstar research, methodology, and models into sophisticated analytical engines ("Advice Engines") that power internal and external applications.
As a Senior Product Manager, you are responsible for making sure we build the right software products for our business and our users. The product manager will be responsible for defining, delivering, and managing the entire lifecycle, from productizing research IP to ongoing client integration and service. You will collaborate with research, development, and QA teams to ensure successful product support, development, and growth. You will also drive new and improved ways to integrate the Advice Engines into Morningstar’s latest-generation products.
While you understand guiding the product development is important, you relish opportunities to "get your hands dirty" working with makers of different disciplines, crunching data to understand what works and what doesn’t, and exploring your passion for building and evolving great products.
This full-time position is based in Chicago.
- Manage and facilitate a team of quantitative analysts and business analysts on the Wealth Forecasting Engine (WFE) and Automated Portfolio Construction (APC) teams.
- Partner with the investment research team to implement new methodologies into WFE, APC, and Advice Engines Web Services (AEWS).
- Manage and evolve the strategic product vision, product discovery, roadmaps, and backlog to maximize the business and user value.
- Define and communicate clear product priorities in a near-term (quarter-over-quarter) and long-term (12-months or more) product roadmap, understanding trade-offs and ensuring product development plans align with support, stakeholder, business, and application integration objectives.
- Own and oversee translation of business intent, customer needs, and/or technical direction into clear, concise, well-documented business requirements and/or product backlog for Advice Engines teams.
- Lead an Agile, data-driven prototyping approach leveraging customer and user feedback, A/B testing, interviews, and surveys; detailed market analysis, synthesizes outputs to identify actionable insights, prove or disprove hypotheses, and data gathering to drive product improvements.
- Influence strategic thinking across the organization, ensuring cross-functional and cross-product collaboration, product positioning, marketing communications, and integration.
- Measure and continuously communicate the success of your teams efforts to inform product strategy.
- Mentor other product managers and cross-functional team members to help facilitate career growth and people development.
- Provide input to financial models (i.e. TCO, ROI) for new candidate initiatives; assists budget owners in translating to quarterly forecasts.
- Drive the creation and maintenance of strong documentation for client integrations, FAQs, etc.
- A bachelor’s degree providing significant grounding in fundamental concepts of finance, economics, and business.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant and progressive experience in business operations, product management, and external client/customer support.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant and progressive experience creating, integrating, and launching complex software products in the financial sector (commercial or investment banking, capital markets, insurance, tax, etc.)
- Understanding of both business and technical requirements, and the ability to serve as a conduit between product, research, technology, and external clients.
- Experience bridging cross-functional conversations between business SMEs, business analysts, external clients, and software development teams using knowledge of customer needs, business drivers, and financial and technology concepts.
- Experience in building fully functional prototypes while working with user experience designers, business subject matter experts, and software development teams.
- Experience articulating and mentoring junior team members on application of Product Management concepts, practices, and methodologies.
- Superb professional communication skills.
- Experience with budget management and reports on actual capex and expense.
- Demonstrated aptitude for mathematical models and applying quantitative methods.
- Experience building prototypes using Python or R.
- Experience working with investment research teams.
- Experience within the automated advice space.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
002_MIMLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity