Senior Product Manager I at SMS Assist
SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Senior Product Manager I is responsible for developing and executing SMS Assist’s product strategy for a business area that helps secure the company’s role as the industry’s path of least resistance for multi-site property maintenance. This role is responsible for collaborating with a cross-functional team of engineers, designers and business stakeholders to prioritize and create innovative operational experiences that enable SMS Assist, their partners and their customers to drive quantifiable performance and efficiency improvements their property management operations. This role will leverage operations knowledge and metrics in all areas of the business to accomplish these goals. The Senior Product Manager I will also be responsible for contributing to SMS Assist’s Corporate and Product Strategy and ensuring continued alignment between their product roadmap and the company’s business objectives.
- Define and manage the prioritized backlog of operational efficiency capabilities and features that meet both internal and external customer needs
- Collaborate with key business partners and stakeholders to discover and articulate requirements and user stories, manage and communicate the product roadmap, and deliver per customer contracts and/or requests with high quality and predictability
- Work with software engineering, operations personnel and other product managers to ensure on-time delivery of product software features that focus on creating an intelligent platform experiences improving operational efficiency
- Define and analyze KPIs and metrics that inform the feature/product’s success and tie to corporate initiatives
- Evolve product strategy based on market and competitive research, internal operations data analysis, and industry trends.
- Drive improvements to our existing products and identify opportunities for new product ideas
- Travel requirements: Some travel required (<10%)
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
- Customer Service – Proficient
- Verbal Communication – Advanced
- Written Communication – Advanced
- Teamwork – Proficient
- Relationships – Advanced
- Organizational Awareness – Advanced
- Learning Agility – Advanced
- Analysis – Proficient
- Problem Solving – Advanced
- Process Orientation – Advanced
- Prioritization – Advanced
Role Specific Skills
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional teams in iterative and incremental discovery of end user requirements in a dual track scrum operating model
- Excellent ability to manage multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization, in areas with both technical and business focuses
- Ability to identify stakeholders, build relationships, and influence others to get work done
- Prioritizing all of the above to ensure the most urgent and valuable work is getting done first
People Management Skills
• Not applicable to this role
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related disciplines
- 3-5 years of experience in hardware or software product development, business analytics, strategy, or equivalent professional background
- 2-3 years of experience in product management
- Demonstrated experience in applying scrum methodologies and product management frameworks to create and deliver customer value
- Experience in corporate and/or customer support operations a plus
Other Relevant Qualifications
- MBA or equivalent
- Scrum Alliance Certified Product Owner or ScrumMaster
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.