The Group: The Products group is the home of manufacturing and innovation at Morningstar. The individuals in this group transform our high-quality data, independent research, and technological expertise into well-designed products that delight our clients. The group’s product management, product development, marketing, sales and service teams collaborate to provide clients with relevant products and bundled solutions.
The Role: Morningstar is looking for a talented Senior Product Manager to lead the strategy, development, and go-to-market activities for Direct in the Institutional Investing space which includes: Asset Owners, the Institutional Consultants that advise them, and the Asset Managers that cater to them. Morningstar primarily serves this market via our Morningstar Direct software platform and this role will be responsible for evolving Direct to serve the specific needs of investment consultants and institutional investors. The Senior Product Manager is responsible for helping to define our global strategy within this client segment and working with our data and software development teams to develop an offering aimed specifically at this target audience. The Senior Product Manager will ultimately be responsible for the commercial success of our product offerings in this space. This role reports to the Director of Product Management for Morningstar Direct and is based in our Chicago office, although remote work will be considered for the right candidate.
- Own the commercial success, strategy, product roadmap, prioritization, and go-to-market activities for the institutional investing client segments globally.
- Own any commercial relationships with 3rd parties needed to be successful in this space, as well as our internal research and data teams to ensure we’re creating intellectual property for the data sets that are important to this audience that will then be packaged up into compelling software solutions to analyze strategy data and research.
- Work with software product and solutions leaders from across the organization, as partners, to develop a product vision that supports and advances their business goals.
- Collaborate with sales, client success teams and partners to gather client input into the products and educate internal teams on the specific needs of the market.
- Collaborate with product marketing teams to develop and execute on the go-to-market strategy for each segment and solution.
- Provide market requirements regarding data, analytics, and workflow needs to our data and software development teams for inclusion in product development.
- Strategic thinking and an enjoyment of problem solving is required.
- A minimum of five to ten years of relevant and progressive experience in investment consulting and/or institutional investing or related data or software firms that work directly with this audience.
- Previous experience in software product development or product management.
- Experience with an institutional database like PSN, eVestment, or Mercer.
- Experience with Environmental, Social and Governance investing landscape and associated data and research.
- Experience preparing or presenting asset manager selection material for institutional clients.
- Excellent oral and written communication, planning, and analytical skills.