Providing customers the right price is core to our business model. Most insurance companies trudge through the process, tweaking plans at a snail’s pace. At Root, we update our pricing constantly, leveraging data science-based models and nimble technology to maximize premium growth with loss performance. Product managers in the insurance operations space are responsible for this important, yet difficult task. If not handled strategically, updating prices leads to a trade-off between growth and profit - the understanding of which requires the use of precise tools in favor of blunt instruments.
To this end, we believe in leveraging structured, rigorous thinking guided by the scientific process to create products that customers love and benefit the company’s bottom line. Although this process takes longer, long-term profitability and customer loyalty matter more to us than short term gimmicks that erode customer trust.
As a product manager, you will build tooling and the automation framework to improve our pricing. This will enable pricing teams to proactively leverage data when making critical decisions by investing in tooling platform improvements that make analysis results broadly accessible to the team and stakeholders. This will be a highly collaborative role, working closely with data science and actuarial colleagues.
What you’ll be doing.
- Pricing Product Areas of Focus: Actuarial tooling, Insurance Product Implementation, Pricing Efficiency
- Work with a Product Director to build a strategy from the ground up for your area of focus
- Create, manage, and adapt product roadmap to meet quarterly objectives/KPIs
- Lead a team of engineers to drive the full product life cycle, spanning ideation, design, implementation, testing, and iteration
- Break down work into weekly sprints and ensure the team meets execution goals
- Build out analytics capabilities and perform ongoing and ad-hoc analysis to assess product performance and extract new product insights
- Collaborate with key business stakeholders in actuarial, data science, compliance, and customer conversion departments
- Leverage market expertise to build a competitor database for product benchmarking
What we’re looking for.
- 6+ years of product experience
- Business experience in insurance, financial services, data driven technology companies, or similar preferred
- Product domain expertise spanning the discovery, planning, and product development process; deep understanding of customer-centric or insurance product practices
- Highly analytical; excel at leveraging customer research and analytics to drive product decisions
- Superior problem-solving skills with the ability to think strategically and innovatively
- Detail oriented; ability to multitask and prioritize projects
- Roll-up-the sleeves work ethic and “do-what-it takes” attitude to efficiently execute and drive for results in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to thrive in a results-driven, fast-paced work environment
- Exceptional leadership skills; naturally collaborative, excelling at influencing without direct authority
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.