Senior Product Owner - Network Security at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Discover is looking for a Senior Product Owner – Network Security to help drive business vision and objectives though the enablement of web security capabilities and services. The Product Owner is responsible for establishing and refining the product vision and the maturation of idea to initiative ensuring the team builds the right product. Through partnership with architecture and the business, the Product Owner is responsible for setting, prioritizing, and evaluating the work generated by the product team in order to ensure features and functionality of the product meet consumer needs and generate expected value/return on investment.
Anchored by our Discover Values, we are focused on open collaboration, teamwork, and innovation. Aligning our work through agile practices and tenets and leverage diverse backgrounds across our team members to create the best possible products for the company.
Product Owner ensures an outcome for a product is delivered that meets the requests from stakeholders and customers. This requires a fundamental understanding of the business and its constraints (financial, marketing, compliance, legal, service, the customer environment, the technical capabilities, the user experience, etc.) in order to provide a solution that satisfies all stakeholders and customers.
- Solicit feedback and decomposes business requirements into platform requirements and user stories
- Coordinates with product leadership to identify initiative and feature-level development opportunities
- Partners with Product Leadership and architecture to provide input to Product vision/roadmap and initiative prioritization/delivery. Plans product releases and upgrades and negotiation of scheduling to meet consumer needs and Enterprise priorities.
- Recommends trade-off decisions on platform product features based on team capacity or feature complexity.
- Responsible for the overall health and lifecycle of the product, including associated risk, audit and vulnerability management
- Makes use of research, user studies, metrics and competitive analysis to understand the platform and business needs for a platform product and inform the backlog
- Ensures product strategy alignment with overall technology and business goals
- Sufficient technical knowledge to understand what is possible to inform key product design decisions
- Understand and drive value of Infrastructure as Code and automation principles through the team
- Ability to lead without authority.
- Empathy for our customer’s journey and needs
- Comfortable with dynamic, fast paced environment with shifting priorities and ownership.
- Ensures that multiple teams are building the right products by developing features and user stories based on consumer needs, market research, and enterprise direction.
- Establish and maintain a working knowledge of industry best practices and regulatory requirements
- Ensures a well stocked, groomed and prioritized product backlog to ensure that work focuses on those features and stories with maximum value and aligned to product strategy.
- Provides product team leadership on Agile & Delivery practices and provides feedback to Chapter leads on individual team member performance
- Responsible for defining and achieving team Objectives & Key Results (OKR) as well as management of product Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
- Interacts and collaborates with stakeholders on key product considerations and aligns with product vision, features and roadmap. Leverages customer insights, feedback, financials, compliance and risk data to define product features and roadmap in partnership with other SMEs.
- Establish Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Objects and Key Results (OKRs) for the product team and ensure alignment with senior leadership (e.g., SPO, Dir, etc.). Creates and/or maintains key product documentation (e.g., customer journey map, technical specs, process mapping, etc.). Identifies and defines key non-functional requirements (e.g., security, availability, performance, etc.) to achieve necessary product metrics. Owns definition of Minimum Viable Product (MVP) and features/user stories for delivery product roadmap; in-line with the Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) of the greater product vision outlined by SPO and/or Business Director is the final decision maker for product scope
- Builds product backlog, prioritize its items to achieve Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and continuously keep it up to date. Holds meetings with the product team to continuously update product backlog. Ensures product features and processes align with applicable Discover compliance and risk management standards. Ensures product adheres to the highest quality standards, including releasing security patches not linked to customers.
- Defines functional and non-functional product requirements; ensure completeness; integral and consistent; source of requirements for product team. Creates and validate user story acceptance criteria. Defines and ensures appropriate testing frameworks for product features (e.g., market testing, functional performance, etc.) Works with Data stewards in their respective LOBs to ensure required Data quality controls are identified and implemented. Inspect and evaluate product progress through each iteration.
- Partners with business technology to create technical features that are required to continuously optimize system components and underline infrastructure maintenance.
- Builds a culture of accountability and ownership by empowering the product team to make decisions as close to the work as possible. Manage dependencies with other team's functions while identifying, building, and managing strategic partnership across different product teams.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Business or Information Technology or related
- Minimum of 8+ years Cyber or Information Security practice
- In lieu of degree, 10+ years Cyber or Information Security practice
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience with SASE (incl. SWG, CASB, ZTNA)
- 4+ years of hands-on experience working with Network Security products
- 2+ years of experience working in an Agile environment, including backlog grooming, interactive engagement with Scrum Master, SMEs and other product owners.
- Prior experience working with automation solutions such as Ansible
- Experience in leading technical brainstorming / ideation sessions and translating the output of these sessions into product features.
- Strong working knowledge of SASE and Remote Access solutions
- Demonstrated leadership in identifying and facilitating resolution of requirement, process and project issues. #LI-BG1 #Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.