Senior Product Owner - Network Services at Discover (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Discover is looking for a Senior Product Owner – Network Services to help drive business vision and objectives though the enablement of network capabilities and services. The Product Owner is responsible for refining the product vision and the maturation of idea to initiative ensuring the team builds the right product. Through partnership with the Product Manager and Product Architect, he/she is responsible for setting, prioritizing, and evaluating the work generated by the product team in order to ensure features and functionality of the product meet consumer needs and generate expected value/return on investment.
Anchored by our Discover Values, we are focused on open collaboration, teamwork, and innovation. Aligning our work through agile practices and tenets, and leverage diverse backgrounds across our team members to create the best possible products for the company.
- Solicit feedback and decomposes business requirements into platform requirements and user stories
- Coordinates with product leadership to identify feature-level development opportunities
- Contributes input for the platform product portfolio and roadmap, prioritizing the backlog while defining the acceptance criteria for user stories
- Recommends trade-off decisions on platform product features based on team capacity or feature complexity.
- Responsible for the overall health and lifecycle of the product, including associated risk, audit and vulnerability management
- Makes use of research, user studies, metrics and competitive analysis to understand the platform and business needs for a platform product and inform the backlog
- Owns the user experience and partners with the product manager to align on direction of the product
- Sufficient technical knowledge to understand what is possible to inform key product design decisions
- Understand and drive value of Infrastructure as Code and automation principles through the team
- Ability to lead without authority.
- Empathy for our customer’s journey and needs
- Comfortable with dynamic, fast paced environment with shifting priorities and ownership.
- Can ensure team flexibility in operational contingencies related to the product and/or business impact.
- Leads with a security and availability first mind-set to ensure the highest quality of product delivery to the business
- Serves as a key member in talent acquisition activity and ensuring incumbent talent acquires necessary skillsets for delivery.
- Participates in the management of the lifecycle of product platforms to include vendor management tasks
- Ensures that multiple teams are building the right products by developing features and user stories based on consumer needs, market research, and enterprise direction. Ensures a well-stocked, groomed and prioritized product backlog to ensure that work focuses on those features and stories with maximum value and aligned to product strategy.
- Ensures a high quality product by establishing acceptance criteria, definition of done, and other quality controls as a part of the product development process. Works with the team to clarify features and user stories and is the only member of the team empowered to accept a feature as complete.
- Partners with Product Leadership to provide input to Product vision/roadmap and initiative prioritization/delivery. Plans product releases and upgrades and negotiation of scheduling to meet consumer needs and Enterprise priorities.
- Provides product team leadership on Agile & Delivery practices and provides feedback to Chapter leads on individual team member performance
- Responsible for defining and achieving team Objectives & Key Results (OKR) as well as management of product Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors Degree in Information Technology, or related field
- 4+ years of experience as Product Owner, Product Manager, Technology Product or Team Leadership, or related
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience as Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 4+ years of hands-on experience working with Network Engineering products
- 2+ years of experience working in an Agile environment, including backlog grooming, interactive engagement with Scrum Master, SMEs and other product owners.
- DDI architecture knowledge and experience
- Prior experience working with automation solutions such as Ansible
- Experience in leading technical brainstorming / ideation sessions and translating the output of these sessions into product features.
- Demonstrated leadership in identifying and facilitating resolution of requirement, process and project issues.
- Familiarity with network features in AWS, Azure, or GCP cloud technologies.
- Data Center fabrics and Application Centric Infrastructure experience
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.