Senior Product Owner at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Key member of the business, who is the conduit to technology thru the agile team. Responsible for writing user stories that align to the product features. Ensures the pipeline (backlog) stays full and is prioritized. Internally focused on the Agile team and implementation. Senior Product Owner plays a significant role in quality and is the only team member empowered to accept user stories as done. Supports one or more one Agile team. This role has significant relationships outside the local team, including working with the Product Manager to prepare features and user stories for continuous planning cycles. Mentors other product owners and provide direction on more complex features
Currently seeking a highly-technical and visionary Product Owner to be part of a significant investment in our Kafka-based streaming platform. In this role, the individual will work with a highly technical agile team utilizing the latest Discover platforms for continuous delivery and cloud and container-native development. The individual will be required to foster collaboration and provide thought leadership while contributing to core products for the department. The Product Owner is the face of the product to internal consumers and other technology organizations and is responsible writing and overseeing delivery of user stories that align to the product features. They will maintain product roadmaps and feature sets and ensure the pipeline (backlog) stays full and is prioritized.
How You’ll Do It
- Work with a dedicated Agile development team to deliver complex customer/business value through product features. Is the conduit to other business partners for this team.
- Provide periodic status updates to business stakeholders and upper management. Serves as point of contact for the Agile team with the business and SMEs.
- Empowered to make all critical decisions regarding functionality and priority in the sprint. Signs off to "accept" each user story during sprint.
- Manage and prioritize sprint backlogs continually with team input (prior to and during the backlog grooming sessions).
- Collaborate with other product owners and/or product manager to uphold business priority and vision.
- Develop complex user stories from prioritized features in collaboration with product manager.
- Champion efforts to attain product vision and objectives. Writes acceptance criteria for user stories. Ensure that user stories all meet Definition of Ready (DoR) and are updated in the Agile Management Tool.
- Develop and market a product vision and strategy.
- Write and oversee delivery of user stories that align to the product features.
- Present regularly to our internal customer base and survey satisfaction levels.
- Develop, maintain, and present product roadmap(s).
- Review and accept user stories, and partner with Product Managers to prepare features and user stories for continual planning cycles.
- Effective partnership and building relationships with business leaders and management.
- Manage and prioritizes sprint backlogs, including assisting in sprint and feature grooming.
- Empower decisions regarding functionality and priority in the sprint.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in business or technology or finance or engineering.
- 4+ years of experience as Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT or related
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience as Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT or related
Bonus Points If You Have
- 6+ years of experience as product owner, business analyst, customer service and relationships, IT, or related field
- 2+ years of hands-on experience working with pub/sub or event-based messaging systems (Kafka highly preferred).
- 4+ years of experience working in an Agile environment, including backlog grooming, interactive engagement with Scrum Master, SMEs and other product owners.
2+ years of experience as a Product Owner in a highly-technical organization
- Prior experience working with automation solutions like Ansible or Chef and/or Linux shell scripting.
- Experience in leading technical brainstorming / ideation sessions and translating the output of these sessions into product features.
- Demonstrated leadership in identifying and facilitating resolution of requirement, process and project issues.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise communications to internal and external business partners and senior management regarding initiatives, issues and achievements.
- Proven leadership to drive cross-functional teams to a consensus and manage groups without direct authority
- Solid executive presence and experience presenting to senior technology leaders (VP and higher).
- Experience using Atlassian JIRA for managing features / issues / stories / sprints.
- Familiarity with AWS or GCP cloud technologies. #LI-BG1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.