SVP of Product
THE JELLYVISION LAB NEEDS AN SVP OF PRODUCT
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams (except for the part where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world.
“THAT'S LOVELY,” YOU MAY BE THINKING, “BUT WHAT’S THE JOB?”
Jellyvision is solvent, growing, and has an incredible pipeline into 1300+ customers who are asking for more of the decision-making support that ALEX provides to their employees. That’s where our new SVP of Product will come in. You’ll help determine and guide the scoping and prioritizations about what products we’re building now - and will build next.
In this role, you’ll own the product vision and product development process for the organization. You will help us figure out what’s next for our existing products, and help us develop new ones that solve our customers’ problems. As part of the senior leadership team, you’ll work with your fellow executives to invest wisely both in maintaining the exceptional product experience of ALEX and in new product ideas we can test and learn from. You’ll also lead the Product team in working with our Creative and Technical departments to bring those ideas to life quickly and efficiently.
At Jellyvision, the Product group does not own but rather partners with our Creative and Tech teams to deliver amazing products with the unique Jellyvision voice and approach. For us, the Product role is a business/market facing one. We’re looking for someone who thinks in terms of strategy, customer solution, pricing, scope, and P&Ls, and who can partner with others on the UX/UI and tech solutions that will bring products with great market fit to life.
Accordingly, we’re looking for someone who is a market listener, a strategist who can dot-connect between the external (market trends and customer feedback) and internal (Jellyvision’s teams, tools, and what we do uniquely well) to focus our efforts on the problems most likely to yield valuable, sellable solutions.
More specifically, you will:
- Own the product development process. You’ll help us improve our processes for iterating on products at scale while also helping us more quickly iterate on new product ideas from concept development, market validation, and prototyping to launch.
- Own prioritization. You’ll help us figure out what and when to invest in each initiative based on potential growth, market differentiation, and profitability.
- Manage, mentor and lead our team of product managers who are responsible for:
- Defining customer pain and market segments for each of our products to ensure that what we build is valuable to our customers and prospects.
- Focusing on each product’s lifecycle, creating value for the long-term while also getting the maximum value in the short-term.
- Collaborate with our heads of revenue, creative, engineering, operations and finance, who are really quite lovely people in their own rights and have a lot of historic knowledge and great ideas for our business.
- We’re a growing company and are constantly striving to do a better job of moving fast while keeping everyone in the loop with as little burden on the listeners as possible.
SO WHAT KIND OF PERSON ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’re looking for someone who lives and breathes customers, has experience dancing between creative and technology, can get mathy, and has product marketing in their DNA. A successful person in this role will be comfortable pushing everyone to make the best products possible while making difficult decisions that balance the needs of users, customers and our own teams. We’re going to lean towards people who vibe entrepreneurial vs “big company,” but fully realize you can be entrepreneurial at a big company and bureaucratic at a small one, which is why your thoughtful cover letter will be such an important part of your application.
In a nutshell, we’re looking for someone who is:
- Strategic yet tactical. This role requires a fair amount of bigger picture thinking, but you’ll also be in the weeds with things like key feature negotiations and sales collateral development. You’ve got to be someone who can jump to the 30 ft. level and back down again with ease.
- Used to analyzing whether to build, borrow or buy. There’s an incredible amount of innovation happening in HR tech and healthcare right now, and having a good bead on who is building what well will help.
- A great manager. We have an amazing homegrown product team. They know our products and problems like the back of their hands, and are ready for more learning, better process and infrastructure, and personal development.
- Used to gray areas/ambiguity/messes – aka software development at a growth stage company. There will be lot of decisions where you won’t have great data to guide you, but you’ll still need to make great decisions.
HERE’S A BIT MORE ABOUT US
We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
WE LOVE PERKS, AND OFFER SEVERAL OF THEM
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people even more reason to hang out together for an hour.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn Red Line stop and the Halsted #8 bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees bike to work, and so we offer bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free Divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga and meditation classes? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
HERE’S HOW YOU APPLY
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasonsyou think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past experience has prepared you for this kind of position. Writing is key to all we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily. We love a cover letter that really shows us your personality (check out our company bios to see the wide range of personalities we’ve already got in house), but don’t stress if you’re not a comedian. You don’t have to be funny. Just be yourself. We’re mostly interested in learning who you are, why you love working in Product, and why you’d love to do it here with us.
- Your resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. That kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, please don’t call or email us to follow up. Rest assured that if you receive a confirmation from our Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application and will get back to you soon.
If you have pressing questions in the meantime, please check out our FAQ page.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!