Technical Product Owner at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Currently seeking a highly-technical and visionary Product Owner to be part of a significant investment in our Kafka-based streaming platform. In this role, the individual will work with a highly technical agile team utilizing the latest Discover platforms for continuous delivery and cloud and container-native development. The individual will be required to foster collaboration and provide thought leadership while contributing to core products for the department. The Product Owner is the face of the product to internal consumers and other technology organizations and is responsible writing and overseeing delivery of user stories that align to the product features. They will maintain product roadmaps and feature sets and ensure the pipeline (backlog) stays full and is prioritized.
Responsible for writing user stories that align to the product features. Ensures the pipeline (backlog) stays full and is prioritized. Internally focused on the Agile team and implementation. Reviews and accepts user stories. Partners with Product Managers to prepare features and user stories for continuous planning cycles.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and market a product vision and strategy.
- Write and oversee delivery of user stories that align to the product features.
- Present regularly to our internal customer base and survey satisfaction levels.
- Develop, maintain, and present product roadmap(s).
- Review and accept user stories, and partner with Product Managers to prepare features and user stories for continual planning cycles.
- Partners with agile team to deliver customer and business value through product features.
- Develops user stories from prioritized features. Leads efforts to attain product vision and objectives. Writes acceptance criteria for user stories. Ensures that user stories meet the Definition of Ready (DoR) and are updated in the system.
- Provides status updates to the business and management.
- Collaborates with agile teams to follow through on business priorities and visions. Manages and prioritizes sprint backlogs.
- Important Empowers decisions regarding functionality and priority in the sprint. Approves each user story during the sprint.
How You’ll Do It
- Effective partnership and building relationships with business leaders and management.
- Manage and prioritizes sprint backlogs, including assisting in sprint and feature grooming.
- Empower decisions regarding functionality and priority in the sprint.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Information Technology or Finance, or Engineering
- 2+ years of experience in Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT or related
- In lieu of education 4+ years of experience in Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT or related
Bonus Points If You Have:
- 2+ years of experience as a Product Owner in a highly-technical organization.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience working with pub/sub or event-based messaging systems (Kafka highly preferred).
- 4+ years of experience working in an Agile environment, including backlog grooming, interactive engagement with Scrum Master, SMEs and other product owners.
- Prior experience working with automation solutions like Ansible or Chef and/or Linux shell scripting.
- Experience in leading technical brainstorming / ideation sessions and translating the output of these sessions into product features.
- Demonstrated leadership in identifying and facilitating resolution of requirement, process and project issues.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise communications to internal and external business partners and senior management regarding initiatives, issues and achievements.
- Proven leadership to drive cross-functional teams to a consensus and manage groups without direct authority
- Solid executive presence and experience presenting to senior technology leaders (VP and higher).
- Experience using Atlassian JIRA for managing features / issues / stories / sprints.
- Familiarity with AWS or GCP cloud technologies. #LI-BG1
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.