Vice President of Product
Who are we?
Many on-demand companies -- from new startups to more established companies like Saucey and Rinse -- use Turn’s modern, online identity screening platform to help manage their contingent workforces. Our near real-time processing of worker background checks, affordability, and full FCRA compliance provides gig platforms the assurances they need to onboard their workforce seamlessly and scale more efficiently.
Turn combines its worker identity infrastructure with a set of future applications for new business models in the gig economy overcoming some of the early challenges in managing the 1099 workforce and navigating the regulatory uncertainty inherent to contingent labor. We work closely with our partners to launch new capabilities that will address the labor inefficiency that has plagued version 1.0 of the gig economy.
At Turn, we're building a diverse team that brings different perspectives, has a passion for the gig economy, and embodies a customer-first mentality. This environment helps our team do some of the best work of their lives. Turn is seeking an ambitious and entrepreneurial candidate to guide product development throughout its hyper growth. This role will interface with all major domain stakeholders on the executive team to oversee and guide product growth strategies.
What we are looking for
There are three expectations we have of someone in a product leadership role: we want you to be a technologist, a manager, and an inspirational leader.
As a technologist you should have a high-level understanding of what is possible through technology and be excited about the opportunities technology can bring to a business. You should be a passionate, experienced product leader with a passion for delivering products that meet market needs and delight customers. You should be able to participate in high-level product conversations, help break complex business needs down to technical capabilities, and help teams reach a consensus. We gravitate towards those who are force multipliers and enhance the creativity and productivity of the team.
As a manager you should be able to help an organization operate to its fullest potential. You should be able to increase team efficiency through communication, focus, process, and consistency - but not bring unnecessary bureaucracy or ceremony. You should be able to grow the people on these teams by providing them with personal and professional development goals and helping them achieve them!
As a leader you should put the needs of others first and help people develop and perform as highly as possible. You should be able to inspire the team to go above and beyond, to fail forward, and to surprise everyone. You should be able to have a vision for where our platform can take this business - and push hard to get us there. You lead by doing and your enthusiasm is infectious.
Most importantly, you understand how to help an organization stay focused, happy, and productive. You’re a leader, but you still have solid coding chops. We welcome new ideas and technologies – you’ll be critical in deciding exactly what technologies we use. You’re comfortable working in and leading teams – and have done so in the past, understand and appreciate the value of test-driven development, and love to work in an agile and rapid environment.
- Serve as a product lead within the company and guide product vision, roadmap development, and revenue generation.
- Synthesize input from a variety of sources into a clear and compelling product vision. Continually test and validate the vision against the real world, iteratively refining based on learnings.
- Communicate and evangelize the product vision both inside and outside the company through effective writing, visuals, presentations, and product demos.
- Triage, investigate and resolve product issues.
- Contribute to product specifications to help define feature and functionality requirements in order to scope work.
- Set and enforce realistic schedule of delivery for each requested item.
- Proactively identify bugs and provide detailed description to the engineering team.
- Develop high level and detailed prototypes and wireframes to communicate your ideas.
- Establish, track and report on analytics (KPIs of product performance), observe product use, and synthesize learnings in order to strategize with CEO and leadership team on tech visioning and roadmapping.
- Attract, retain, mentor and develop an outstanding and motivated team of future Product Managers, UX and UI professionals, and contribute to the growth of employees outside the formal product team as well.
- Identify and prioritize product requirements tied to market and customer needs, available resources and ROI and communicate the rationale behind the “what, when and why” for the product roadmap.
- Monitor market and technology trends and identify opportunities for new product innovations, market segments and strategic partnerships.
- Be seen as a company and industry thought leader and inspire team members to push the Company and Industry forward.
- At least 5 years of product management experience in results-driven, high growth environments.
- At least 5 years of direct management experience and at least 3 years experience leading a team.
- Minimum BS or BA degree in Computer Science, Product Management, Design, User Experience, Business or related field.
- Proven success developing innovative products that have been widely deployed and that achieved demonstrable commercial success.
- Hands on experience with Lean and Agile software development methodologies
- UI design experience.
- Technical and business aptitude; depth to command respect of engineering and cross-functional team members.
- Demonstrated success building relationships internally and externally in market.
- History of recruiting, developing, and inspiring great talent in product management and design roles.
- Team player who engages in respectful debate with peers and on product and company strategy.
- Outstanding communication, presentation, and critical thinking skills.
- Exceptional listening skills and openness to differing points-of-view and new ideas.
- Professional, high-integrity, organized, driven and results-oriented.
- Competitive market salary (based on experience)
- Stock Options
- Medical and Dental insurance
- Casual dress
- Fun, flexible work environment in our River North office.