The Group: Morningstar’s mission is to create great products that help investors achieve their financial goals. For the Workplace group, that means building products and solutions that help employers maximize the value of their workplace retirement plans and put individuals on the path to better retirement outcomes. Workplace is a high-growth area for Morningstar that houses a diverse suite of technology and investment-based solutions. Our unique client base includes retirement plan providers, plan sponsors, plan consultants, and retirement plan advisors. By constantly evolving our solutions and solving our clients’ problems, we are well-positioned to help individuals achieve a better retirement.
The Role: Morningstar seeks a VP, Product Manager to work on our Retirement Manager application. Retirement Manager is a web application that helps employees reach their retirement goals by offering advice on how much to save, identifying when to retire, and allocating their retirement account to the appropriate investment options. This position is located in our Chicago office.
• Manage a team of several Product Owners and Associate Product Owners. Responsibilities, include coaching, mentoring, tracking, performance evaluations, etc.
• Develop an in-depth understanding of our managed accounts application, including Retirement Manager and Advisor Managed Accounts.
• Oversee multiple projects concurrently. Proactively drive new business initiatives through research, documentation, and implementation.
• Prioritize Product Initiatives (new product development) based on analysis of the opportunity and competitive landscape.
• Responsible for guiding products from initial development all the way through launch, including the operational aspects of the product launch.
• Serve as the subject matter expert of our managed accounts application both internally with our development teams and externally with institutional clients.
• Engage with the retirement industry and our clients to proactively research and recommend enhancements and improvements of our offerings.
• Foster a team dynamic that is motivated to improve the customer experience and drive better retirement outcomes.
• 7+ years of relevant experience, with some demonstrated experience in product management desired. Retirement industry knowledge a plus.
• Experience working across stakeholder groups such as Design, Technology, Strategic Clients and Sales, Customer Support, and Product.
• Superior business judgment, data analysis, and problem solving skills.
• Ability to look at situations from several points of view: internally, externally, and cross-functionally.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Self-directed and detail-oriented.
• Creative thinker with an analytical approach to problem solving, an inquisitive and critical mind, strong attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task.
• Knowledge and experience in working with the Agile development framework.
• Strong customer-service focus for building a product with purpose and supporting clients.
• A bachelor’s degree is required.